Shotgun Forums banner

shotgun choke question

1K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
I have a Winchester 1300 speedpump, currently when I am shooting shot I use an extra full choke. when I shoot slugs I use a cylinder choke. my question is, is there a choke that will accurately fire both shot and slugs? I hunt with my shotgun often, and when I am going after boar or other thick hide animals I would like to be able to alternate load my shotgun without having to worry about which choke is in the barrel.

#4 ·
Many of the guys who shoot 3 Gun routinely use light modified with slugs. Lots also use improved cylinder. Either choke would be slightly better than cylinder for shot.

Try a couple different slugs through a couple different chokes on a pattern board or target and see what you get.

However, as always, the risk is yours so do whatever you are comfortable with.

Take care,
Dave

#8 ·

Upper pattern was at ten feet.

Lower was at 50.

Load was Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 9pellet 00 (RA12005), shotgun was a Benelli M1S90 Tactical, 20" bbl.

And what it does with slugs at 50 feet:

Slugs were just cheap Federal 2 3/4"s; first 3 shots were slow fired offhand, 50'; second two were a double tap from low ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.