Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can birdshot be too hard?
Not sure I understand your question.

If you mean lead shot used for purposes of shooting birds, then No. If you mean so hard such as steel shot that may cause damage to your barrel; then Yes.

However, even steel as used in shotshells is somewhat soft by comparison to many other steel compositions. The newer guns designed after the mandate of steel shot will all handle current steel shot without damage. The same cannot be said for older gun barrels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a video on making shot, and it was stated that shot can be too soft, and will deform upon shooting. I've got a good supply of linotype and plan to harden pure lead with it, but wondered if you might have problems if it was too hard.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I saw a video on making shot, and it was stated that shot can be too soft, and will deform upon shooting. I've got a good supply of linotype and plan to harden pure lead with it, but wondered if you might have problems if it was too hard.
No, you can not harden shot "too hard" by adding linotype. In fact, it is a good way to get great quality hardened shot. Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I make shot out of wheel weights. I don't harden it. It ahs worked excellently on doves, quail, claybirds and rabbits. It's all I use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I make shot out of wheel weights. I don't harden it. It ahs worked excellently on doves, quail, claybirds and rabbits. It's all I use.
Aren't wheel weights already hardened quite a bit? I would think they would make EXCELLENT, hard shot and probably harder than you could buy commercially. That's a good thing!

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I thought wheel weights were now zinc or steel - they stopped using lead years ago after CA banned their use

·
975 Posts
Unless my memory banks are faulty, lead wheel weights are around BHN 10 and Magnum shot is around BHN 6 or 7 or so. I've case a ton of bullets out of wheel weights over the years and still have a bunch of them in ingot form.

And yes, there are still lead wheel weights. See them all the time around here.

Wheel Weight Update: Lead Wheel Weights are Still Here... in Most States

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unless my memory banks are faulty, lead wheel weights are around BHN 10 and Magnum shot is around BHN 6 or 7 or so. I've case a ton of bullets out of wheel weights over the years and still have a bunch of them in ingot form.

And yes, there are still lead wheel weights. See them all the time around here.

Wheel Weight Update: Lead Wheel Weights are Still Here... in Most States
If your memory is accurate then it is small wonder that wheel weights make excellent shot since they are significantly harder than even "magnum" shot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wheel weights {not the new ones} after melting down and removing the steel tire clip make good cast pistol bullets, make sure you do not get a newer zinc one in the melting pot ore the whole batch will be ruined. Linotype is harder than wheel weights and makes very good pistol bullets also, if you can fine any,?

·
Registered
110 Posts
IIRC I have read on a reloading forum that the reason shot manufacturers only make shot has hard as they do is because if they add more to it to make it harder it does not drop "round" in their towers. So in that regards yes, you can make it too hard.

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
IIRC I have read on a reloading forum that the reason shot manufacturers only make shot has hard as they do is because if they add more to it to make it harder it does not drop "round" in their towers. So in that regards yes, you can make it too hard.

Steve
I don't dispute that but what I always heard was that to make shot harder would require more antimony which is pricey. I don't know the factual answer but this article by Bruce Buck seems to indicate that you are right about the hardness VS roundness reason. Take a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts