Shotgun Forums banner

Shooting Glasses

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  BadaBoom 
#1 ·
Ok not much going on so thought I'd open up for a little talk. This has been asked before I'm sure. What color shooting glasses do you wear? I wear dark purple on sunny days and light purple on cloudy days.Thats just the color that works best for me. Each persons eyes differ, just curious what all goes on out there.( oneounce,oneeye,RKB,Flash,4575)

#5 ·
They're using the lime/safety yellow/green but they don't glow at all.

A line drawn from skeet station #1 to Station #7 is about exactly parallel with the mountain and when I'm shooting with others on stations #3 and #4 the other guys frequently say that they didn't see the low house bird until it was around halfway to the center stake. With the ice blue lenses I can see it the minute it comes out of the house.

OTOH, the one time I forgot to change back to my regular glasses for the drive home I saw a DPS car and asked Mrs. Flash if she saw the red and white flashing lights on the DPS car...turns out that a blue police light viewed through blue lenses = white light observed, not blue.

#6 ·
Flash you and oneounce bring up an interesting topic. Never seen the ice blue lens you speak of, but most important the green targets. Around here orange is all I've seen. They was some white targets we'd slip in to stir people up now they are all gone. Is the green ones used mostly for sporting clay or like you spoke on the skeet range? It is wide open around the skeet fields we shoot.😀

#7 ·
My local club has been using the pink ones at times, and some white ones; we don't have mountains in South Georgia where the club is but we do have a tall stand of pines about 100 yards away with some dark shadow spots that make the 20 yard targets disappear for a bit as they cross L2R or R2L. Of course the politicos didn't ask anyone about setting up the fields so the 2 trap/skeet combo fields and the 5 stand are oriented to the SOUTH....:mad:. High targets at the wrong time of day are impossible to see as you look directly into the sun. When I had normal eyes, the Randolph CMT lens worked great for making orange targets POP against darker backgrounds on sunny days, but you had to change them if moved into the shade

#8 ·
Yes, the skeet field I shoot at uses green ones exclusively. Tiger, the lady who owns the field (she's ranked around 3rd among Arizona female trapshooters) says the orange ones just disappear against the backdrop of the mountain.

ARIZONA’S home of “GREEN” White Flyer Targets come play with us in the desert!

#9 ·
The trap field we shoot is always the Day-Glo Orange but the Sporting Clay Club mixes the colors between the Orange and the Lime Green . They have also thrown in a Dark Green on occassion. Now when it comes to the rabbits, they are ALWAYS the Orange. Down in Sarasota they had one stand they called The Double Helix, where the targets weave in and out and cross each other. I caught it one day with the right one Green and the left one Orange on the first pull and then on the second pull it was just the opposite . Right was Orange and left was Green........ And my eyes were crossed !!!

#10 ·
Flash that is a good view of your club. Did I see the times correct for summer shooting, open til midnite? Wow , they'd get tired of seeing me I love to shoot at night. Oneounce is the only one who has said much about shooting under the lights. I use to go to Corinth, Miss. and shoot there, ah they no longer open.

#12 ·
I had a coworker when I lived in Reno whose sister worked in Phoenix for USPS; she said during the summer they start delivering anywhere between midnight and 2 am to be finished no later than 10 due to the heat; I have shot here in heat where it ran about 95 but with 99% humidity; you had to watch your sweat on your guns, especially those guys with K-80s that were case colored - no thanks!
As to shooting at night, we did that in Carson City for Thbursday night fun league which mixed up trap, skeet, 5-stand and a modified sporting overlay on a combo field. At least in the winter everyone was shooting in the darkness; during the summer, the first squads had daylight but the last were under the lights - you could see the differences in the scores when they were posted. Now, under the lights when it's snowing makes it an even bigger challenge as the light reflection form the snow can obliterate targets quickly! But it was all good fun anyway.

#15 ·
I started out with Decot V Lite Rose. Clay definition was very good. However after wearing them for a while in the sun, my eyes felt like they just went under a retina exam. I take the glasses off and all colors look gray. I switched to Randall Lenses I have the CMT, Hi def medium orange, Vermillion and Yellow. Vrmillion is my best except on very bright days that have no clouds at all. On those days the CMT is very good.

I just had cataract surgery and I'm thinking of trying Decot color mags in either light or medium tint... or maybe medium target purple.

I wish V lite Rose did not fatigue my eyes so much. The clarity and detail they provide is exceptional. Decot is recommending the target purple 70.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.