Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those amongst us, like me :) , that also shoot revolvers and rifles here's a very good source for shims to adjust the barrel to cylinder gap, tighten up trigger play, and adjust other critical dimensions.
It's a small family run business and they're good folks to deal with.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE.
The shims arrived this morning and I immediately went to work on the S&W.
I adjusted the crane/yoke to frame end-play first and ended up using a .002" shim to reduce the end-play to .002" with just a slight amount of drag on the frame when closing the crane/yoke.
Next I unscrewed the cylinder from the ejector rod which came off "real" easy so it may not have been tight enough and would have contributed to the excessive .018" of end-shake. I used two .007" shims and after correctly torquing the cylinder to 45 inch lbs ended up with .003" of cylinder end-shake.
Now the cylinder comes out and goes into the frame smoothly and much more crisply then before. Next step is a visit to the range to see how everything works after heating up.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
Note: Before doing the final measuring and adjustment I cleaned and dried everything to get the most accurate readings and then applied some lube as I reassembled the parts.
Update #2:
Just got back from the range and the S&W worked perfectly. No binding or anything when it warmed up and the firing pin is leaving a deeper impression on the primers.
Even the rounds I used standard small rifle primers in to see if they would work fired with no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts