Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your assistance buying another firearm. Budget $1000 but the frugal part of me is thinking more along the lines of $600. Not interested in rifles. Don't need a pistol. A shotgun. Used is okay.

My Beretta 390 will be my all-around longer barrel bad weather synthetic 12ga. It's the gun that got me interested to see if I was going through a phase. Inexpensive. Fantastic quality for what it is. Using it for backyard clays.

I do not like it for blowing up pumpkins, etc., because the barrel is so long. That doesn't make sense: I'd rather have a shorter barrel shotgun because that soda can will be blown up so much cooler if my barrel is 18.5" - 22" instead of 28". I'm leaning toward a FN SLP 22" but that's an expensive 3-Gun type and I probably won't do 3Gun. Found a used one in great shape for $675. Almost $700 to annihilate a can or clay pigeon?? Stupid.

Benelli's cost too much. The M2 Field in 21" would be nice but the price is high.

I have a youth sized 20 ga Mossberg pump with LimbSaver slipon to make the LOP just right. It's so much fun, but it's not a 12ga and I don't like pumps when my brain knows there are reliable autos to be had. So pumps are out unfortunately.

But I think shooting water jugs and eggs will get old which leads me back to the o/u I crave. They cost too much. It'd be mainly a clay gun....but my 390 auto does that. So I'd have two long-barrel (the o/u could be a 20ga) shotguns doing the same thing.

I don't hunt. No pistol needed cuz I bought exactly what I wanted for USPSA. All my shooting is informal clays and range use.

So what gun do you recommend I buy next? Get that FN SLP or is there an option you think I should consider?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check out Stoeger O/U's.... My brother brought his out to shoot clays and it was pretty slick. 24" barrel but it needed a choke for some serious clays. Oh and bottom fires first. and I think he paid $600 or so for it

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you like your Beretta, there's a "tactical" version of it running around that can be found for under $500; I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I 2nd looking into Stoeger. I have a Stroeger 2000 it shoots better than I can lol. I got mine for right around 400$ in camo with a nice Hiviz red bar sight on the front that pretty good in low light. I am pretty sure the Stroeger 2000 uses the same Inertia system as the Benelli M-2000 so thats kinda nice lol. The 2000 comes with 5 chokes including an extreme turkey choke. I have never had a FTF or FTE and I have well over 3,000 shells threw her. The 2000 is also my pheasant and turkey gun.
The last time I went trap shooting I did pretty well and a guy on the line next to me asked if my gun was a Benelli lol that made my day:p

P.S. Beretta own Benelli who owns Stoeger last time I checked so the quality is based on Beretta not some factory in Turkey.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grab yourself a remmy 870 and save $700...or $300 for your frugal side. Simple, reliable, easy to use broomstick perfect for blowing hole in paper or clay.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A stoeger p350 should be in on the list too. You could probably pickup the stoeger and a stoeger O/U for less than a grand and have Benelli quality. The p350 is the same as a supernova fwiw.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just watched a clip on Guns and Ammo about the Stoeger Coach gun. It's a side by side short barrel double 12. They put a 20 gauge Hornady Self Defense in the barrel and then shot a 00 Buck round into it. It never even bulged the barrel. They are around $200

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just watched a clip on Guns and Ammo about the Stoeger Coach gun. It's a side by side short barrel double 12. They put a 20 gauge Hornady Self Defense in the barrel and then shot a 00 Buck round into it. It never even bulged the barrel. They are around $200
the coach guns are fun...I kinda want the Double Defense but I also like twin triggers on a double so I'm thinking I need a nickel and satin black Coach.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today was one of those days. I ended up with a shotgun I usually would not have due to price. But someone just wanted it out of their house because it was of no use to them.

SKB-manufactured 12ga Weatherby Orion o/u circa 1982-1990 with 30" barrels, wide vented rib and Grade III furniture. Rated at 95% condition, and it fits and swings so perfectly I could not believe it.

I've always been a fan of Japanese-made over-unders, and recently became a follower of old school Weatherbys. I'm in shock that it's mine, and paid WAY WAY less than market value. Funny: the seller was just as happy to get it out of his safe.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i picked up a Mossberg 930 field/security for $513 shipped to FFL from budsgunshop. I got a 18.5" and 28" barrel. Double duty SEMI-AUTO shotgun, can't beat it for the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts