Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting some code for a customer and took a break to look at the news on my computer.

Saw a live image of the first tower burning and was reading the speculation was an airplane had accidently hit it.

Then I saw live footage of the 2nd plane running into the 2nd tower.

My FIL was staying with us, recovering from heart surgery and I went out in the living room and put on the TV for him to watch.

Then they said there was a rumor crop dusters would be flying over dumping poisonous material on homes so I got out my rifle and some AP ammo and loaded up next to my sliding glass door which was next to the computer. Left the door open so I could hear a plane coming and continued watching the footage of the twin towers.

Somethings you never forget.

Building Sky Aircraft Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was listening to the radio in my office and hearing that a plane hit the first tower I went to the conference room and turned on the TV.
When the second plane hit, I called my wife who was working in the Sears Tower downtown Chicago. My first thought was that we were under attack and The Tower would be a prime target.
I told her to grab her purse, get to the train station and take the first train out of the city and I would pick her up wherever that train took her. Fortunately, she got a train out to Elgin where my office was, and I was able to connect with her there.

Reactions: jwsmith1959

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was at work early that morning and cannot remember if I learned of it first while listening to morning sports radio or if my secretary's husband who was a Galveston County deputy Sherriff called. I turned on the TV in our conference room and we were pretty much glued to the newscasts being reported for the rest of the morning. Needless to say, a lot of work was put aside. My City had many large petrochemical refineries and every one of them went on high alert.

That day really changed a lot of things. Those refineries that could erected hard barriers after that. The Port was closed to non-essential traffic and our drinking water reservoir which was a favorite for fisherman was closed. I retired about two years later (first retirement). It did open us all up to significant civil liberty encroachments which I doubt any of us will ever know if they made us safer or not. I am guessing they did as we have not had another major attack since.

Terrible day.

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an interesting little P.S. I just thought of after reading jwsmith1959s post.

The wife and I go to Hawaii every year for a couple of weeks, a fishing town on the Big Island called Kailua-Kona.

Anyway, we had tickets for around a month and a half after 9/11

I about half expected them to cancel the flight, but they didn't. It was Aloha Airlines, a great airline that had terrible luck and went under a few years later. The flight was about 25% full as a lot of people were afraid to fly at this time, but I figured it was at least as safe as before 9/11.

We were having our meal on the plane and they gave us chopsticks to eat it with as well as silverware (they did that in coach in those days).

After we ate, the cabin attendant (a guy) came by to pick up our trays and suggested strongly that we might want to keep the chopsticks as "souvenirs." He made it obvious he was arming us to a small degree.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts