Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Semi-auto shotgun to buy. I have used my dad's 870, and would like to get a semi-auto first since I have access to his. I have looked around for the last few months, and discovered the more I look the less I seem to know. Every brand seems to have the best for one reason or another. I thought I would get a Vinci, and then one guy pointed out that grip is rather agressive and unless you have a good grip the trigger gaurd can hit your knuckles. I see the Super Vinci has a different grip, but also comes with a higher price tag. :( The versamax looks nice, but it's still new and has already had a recall, but I like the self adjusting port design. I have looked at this gun quite a bit, but I also don't know anyone who has used one. The salesman at the store gave the maxus a good review, he is a good guy and I have bought a few guns from him. His next gun is going to be a maxus. I also looked at the SX3, I like the coating and it feels like it will be rather durable, and the coating just feels good in my hand.

I will use it for shooting trap, no hunting plans, but you never know.

I know I am looking at higher end guns, and will be happy with any of them. I am curious if anyone has comments for or against any of them. I know there are also other good guns out there, and would be open to suggestions.

I am in no rush to get a shotgun, just doing my research so when I find a good deal, I will know it's the gun I want to buy.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you're just looking at trap, and possibly for hunting...really no reason to look at the 3.5" guns.

I've shot a Vinci...I like it. I prefer my M1S90, though. I do like inertia driven guns.

Heard a lot of good things about the SX3.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't overlook the Remington 1100. It's a great all-arounder, and will work very well for trap or whatever you need. Plus, it's far more affordable than many of the options you listed. I've had mine for a decade and love it. Check it out!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got an SX3, but haven't had it to the range yet. Looks awesome, though, with a mag extender it's 11+1 and can fire as fast as an M2 machine gun. Imagine the wall of lead you can put up with that with 00 buck. Who needs full auto?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are all good guns. You need to get whichever one fits you best. I was convinced I wanted the Browning Maxus, but it just did not come up right to my shoulder. I loved the Vinci, but use mine for goose and wanted the 3.5 which was not available at the time. I got a Benelli SBE II and love it. It is like an extension of my arm, comes up smooth, lines up perfect and swings beautifully.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the info and opinions.

I haven't looked at the older, tried and true models. Salesmen always like to show the newest latest greatest. I'll have to check out the 1100 and M1/M2, if I look around I should be able to find a good used one. The diff in cost would buy a good amount of ammo.

11+1 in an SX3, that's a whole lot of lead. :cool:

Good point on how it comes up. That's the thing I need more familiarity with. The only thing I know is the 870, so I really don't have good comparison of how diff models feel. My dad's 870, in my opinion, isn't a perfect fit, but then my dad has a diff stature than I do and he has modified it to fit him. I need to get to a couple of shoots at my gun club and borrow a few guns to try out.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.