Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best shotgun shells for home defense? I just got a shotgun (my first, Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga 20in bbl) and was wondering what to use for home defense. I know they sell self defense rounds are those a good choice or what? Also I know in pistols hollow points can feed differently but can different shells feed differently and cause malfunctions?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have Some Federal, Remington and Fiocchi 00 buckshot for HD . I think 00 , 0 or even 1 will work fine if that' what is availible to you. Some people perfer low recoil types and yes i would test whatever you buy in your new Maverick, always a chance you and it would perfer a certain brand.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are more than enough choices out there that will work plenty fine for you. Best part about a new shotgun is doing all the testing to find out what it likes. Buy every brand and shot size you can and see what the gun likes best. I keep Rem managed recoil, Hornady CD buckshot, some Winchester Milspec and my shotguns favorite is............ Remington 16 pellet #1 buck at 1250fps. Its more of a medium load. Uniform pattern and uts lots of .30" holes on target.

Try 'em all, thats the joy of it. Let us know what ya like most when you are done..

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use sellier & bellot #4 buck. They pattern pretty good and feed reliably in my 870. only shells iv had jam up have been cheap birdshot.
i run about 100 shells a month of this and random 00 buck just for practice and fun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When choosing a home defense shell I suggest big pellets and short shells. You'll get plenty of power for home defense ranges with the short shells and you'll maximize your # of rounds.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anyone tried these before? they've got three (3) 00 buck pellets AND a 1 oz. rifled slug all in the same shell. i picked up a couple boxes at cabela's tonight cause the price was right (11.99 per box of 10 shells) and cause they were out of the regular 00 buck i was trying to buy. oh and the all black shells are kinda cool looking.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
has anyone tried these before? they've got three (3) 00 buck pellets AND a 1 oz. rifled slug all in the same shell. i picked up a couple boxes at cabela's tonight cause the price was right (11.99 per box of 10 shells) and cause they were out of the regular 00 buck i was trying to buy. oh and the all black shells are kinda cool looking.

With these i just wonder about overpenetration with the slug, maybe someone will come by that knows more than i do? That"s my only question with something like this?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With these i just wonder about overpenetration with the slug, maybe someone will come by that knows more than i do? That"s my only question with something like this?
i was more worried about how random the buck shot might fly when its getting pushed through the barrel and then through the air by a slug. i dont think you'd have to worry about over penetration due to the fact that they cant get that much powder behind both a slug and pellets in a 2-3/4 shell. so it should be a less hot round.... i would think anyway but i could be totally wrong.

i'm gonna try to test them this weekend and see how they do on paper targets.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kdbrainard86 said:
i'm gonna try to test them this weekend and see how they do on paper targets.
I saw those Winchester Supreme Elite shells recently in a Cabela catalog and was thinking of picking some up...I'm interested to see your test results

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My first shot is 3.5" 00, I'm not worried about over penetration in my particular HD scenario the rest are 2 3/4" 00 so I can get an extra shell in the tube. Stoeger P-350 pstol/stock

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use sellier & bellot #4 buck. They pattern pretty good and feed reliably in my 870. only shells iv had jam up have been cheap birdshot.
i run about 100 shells a month of this and random 00 buck just for practice and fun.
I have been seriously considering some #4. I think federal makes some that has 34 count in 2 3/4" shells. Seems like it would pattern nicely at close range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts