Shotgunforums.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: Been working on a 775A and have ended up with a few questions. Although the action is marked as being a 775A, the barrel is marked as being a 720. The serial numbers match. It has an adjustable choke which I cannot identify. Did Savage manufacture their own chokes? Best, Dan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Savage Super Choke on Barrel Stub

Hi danth
Here is pictured the Savage Super Choke that I purchased to go on (eventually) my Savage 720 ultimate bird killing machine project.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Did Savage often mix 775a parts with 720 parts? Seems odd, but the serial numbers match. The adjustable choke is similar to the one pictured, but it is unmarked, and the adjustment knob has a single wide knurled area and the sight "bead" is a square aluminum block which is ribbed on top.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Savage 775 was a continuation of the 720 line. The Savage 745 was a Auto 5 clone utilizing an aluminum alloy receiver. Browning and Savage both tried this material, the latest attempt was the Savage 750. I am not sure about Charles Daly's Auto Pointer, it was Japanese made, and possibly had an alloy frame also. Aluminum was not up to the slam bang cycling of the Auto 5, even though the lock up was steel to steel between barrel and bolt. The receivers often cracked at the stress points, and once they were worn a little took on all the beauty of a well used aluminum cooking pot. The 775 was a continuation of this aluminum receiver, except the humpback of the Auto 5 was streamlined smoothly back to meet the wood, resulting in a rather tall profile at the back of the action. Barrels, bolts and internals apparently interchange between the models, but I am not sure about the trigger group. They were produced right alongside the 745's I am pretty sure, so many of the same parts were utilized. If the gun functions, by all means shoot it as is and keep us posted how it holds up. I thought long and hard about using an aluminum receiver for my Auto 5 lightweight project, but I opted for steel in the end, a Savage Model 720. I will lighten it up by drilling holes and lightening cuts, a la Browning lightweight instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts