Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 870 12 gauge 30" bbl Remington WingmasterTC pump.

I ordered a Carlson's Remington 870 Barrel, 18 1/2" w/ Breacher Choke and I intend/hope to use Federal LE13200 #00 buck with it for home defense.

I know I should have joined and checked here first but will my combination be OK or should I cancel the order for the new barrel?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an old 870 12 gauge 30" bbl Remington WingmasterTC pump.

I ordered a Carlson's Remington 870 Barrel, 18 1/2" w/ Breacher Choke and I intend/hope to use Federal LE13200 #00 buck with it for home defense.

I know I should have joined and checked here first but will my combination be OK or should I cancel the order for the new barrel?
How about asking Carlson? They would be the most likely to have the right answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about asking Carlson? They would be the most likely to have the right answer.
Duh, until you mentioned it I hadn't thought about it.
I found the Carlson site and sent them my question. I hope they can answer it.
Thanks.

·
975 Posts
It appears it's fine to use buckshot through a breacher choke.

Crio/Crio Plus--Carlson's new Tactical Breacher Choke Tube allows you to turn your hunting gun into a home defense gun. The open choke allows for shooting with lead, buckshot, Hevi-Shot or steel shotshells. You can count on this choke tube for your security needs. Backed by Carlson's Lifetime Warranty!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Flash.
I followed the link you supplied and it does clear things up considerably.
Interesting that the site that I ordered the barrel and choke combination from does not specifically list which Breacher choke is included.
I also see that most sites spell it Breacher and Carlson's spells it Breecher. I guess that is perhaps a copyright thing?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you anticipating bowing door hinges off? That is the purpose of the breacher-type choke tube......
No, I hadn't thought about it that way, but the barrel comes with that choke and I was under the impression it was for proper short range devastation to an intruder. That is the way it is advertised. Their words: "Carlson's Tactical Breecher Choke Tubes are designed specifically for the tactical firearm and home defense."
So, if I misunderstood and it is 'only' for blasting my way into a room or building then it will just be a piece I will resell on the web and purchase a proper "home defense" choke.
What "home defense" choke would you recommend since I hope to keep the barrel?

·
975 Posts
Since it's unlikely you'll find a "cylinder" choke, take the next best which is skeet. It's as open a pattern as you're going to get with tubes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since it's unlikely you'll find a "cylinder" choke, take the next best which is skeet. It's as open a pattern as you're going to get with tubes.
------------------------------------------------
Thank you Flash.
I think I may be alright with the tube it comes with although the Carlson description is a bit confusing. They seem to refer to it as an "open choke" and then show a table which says it is an "Imp Cyl" choke. I still think I should be OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IC is nominally .010 (aka 1/4 choke for the Brits); Cylinder is .000 and skeet is .005
-------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like it's all in the patterning. If it does well, all is well, if not, I'll need to buy another choke for that barrel.

Right now, the barrel and choke I ordered has not yet shipped. I know they're busy, but I hope it ships today or tomorrow so I can get it by next week.

Thank you all for the great input! (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts