Shotgun Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Out of the slugs I tested, the Federal Premium Truball seemed to perform the best. Maybe equal to the el-cheapo Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers. I'm going to retest these two to better determine which to use.
l
I didn't notice in the range report if you mentioned that those targets were shot offhand or from the bench. Which was it?

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I didn't notice in the range report if you mentioned that those targets were shot offhand or from the bench. Which was it?
They were all shot from a bench rest to reduce the human factor. I shot at a distance of 70 yards. The Federal Sluggers that were shown as the second target, were the first ones tested. I'm going to reshoot these top two to see if the sluggers shot low from me just getting used to the gun, or if they actually hit low with this gun.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It was remington sluggers I had a problem with.

It was the green shelled 2-3/4" remington sluggers that shot low for me. The recoil was noticeably less too, which is part of what made them appealing. They're really the only slug I wouldn't hunt with. Given a choice though, I like the super X slugs. Haven't shot a Federal slugger, they're probably OK.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It was the green shelled 2-3/4" remington sluggers that shot low for me. The recoil was noticeably less too, which is part of what made them appealing. They're really the only slug I wouldn't hunt with. Given a choice though, I like the super X slugs. Haven't shot a Federal slugger, they're probably OK.
Let me correct myself... They were Remington Sluggers that I tested. I tested other Federal slugs, the best being the Federal Premium TruBall 2-3/4. When I reshoot the Remington Sluggers to make sure they are indeed hitting low, I will also be reshooting the Federal Premium TruBalls to make sure that the results from this test are repeatable (essentially solidifying my decision to use the Feds for hunting). Once I reshoot these, I'll add an update to the range report to include these additional results.

I also need to break out the 22 to make sure it is dialed in for squirrel season coming up in a few weeks. :mrgreen: That date is like Christmas for me. First day of hunting for the new season!

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have found Breneke slugs to be a lot more accurate than any conventional Foster style slug. At 100 yards I can keep Breneke's on a paper plate. With Federal reducted recoil tactical slugs I can't keep them all on a USPSA target.
Pat
At least with my gun and the limited number of rounds I fired (5 of each brand) the Breneke slugs were all over the place. I don't know if I just got a fluke box, or if this brand just didn't like my gun. Everyone I've heard says they are among the more accurate styles of slugs available for smoothbore barrels. I might reshoot them as well. It's kind of odd in this picture how I have two in the center that are tightly grouped, two near the bottom that are tightly grouped and then one that hit high. Here were my results with Breneke's.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.