Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the name of saving a few $$, cause I'm on a budget, is there any reason why I cannot use a rifled choke on my 12ga. to shoot sabot slugs from my standard smooth bore?

I was curious as to the effectiveness of a rifled choke vs. a rifled barrel. Besides the obvious (more rifling contact with a rifled barrel) If I'm shooting sabot slugs on occasion (rarely) I don't see the need to buy a rifled barrel if I'm not really going to use slugs or even sabot slugs very often at all.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Oh I'm using a Remmy 870 tacticool, 18.5" barrel.

Thanks in advanced. Didn't want to thread jack the other http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shotgun-talk/210404-shotgun-slugs.html post.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honestly you'd probably do just as well to use good rifled slugs out of your smooth bore. There was also speculation of slugs impacting the rifling at the end of the barrel with too much force.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:rolleyes:

I love it when people with no practical experience just regurgitate "what they heard".

They work fine. I have a friend who uses one with his 1187; he's taken deer out to 150 with no issues.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen.

I figured they would work just fine, but thought the question cost less than a new barrel or the like, just in case. Besides, I've never heard much on whether they work, or not, or really heard anything about them.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:rolleyes:

I love it when people with no practical experience just regurgitate "what they heard".

They work fine. I have a friend who uses one with his 1187; he's taken deer out to 150 with no issues.
Right, I've never hunted with slugs in my life. I have a friend that killed a T Rex with a 22 riding it like a bull too. In fact my friend was a minotaur.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologies to the OP...but this need to be dealt with.

Hey, Bub--do you have any direct experience with rifled tubes? Ever fired a shotgun with one, or know somebody who uses one? Or are you just yammering what somebody who didn't ever use one told you...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies to the OP...but this need to be dealt with.

Hey, Bub--do you have any direct experience with rifled tubes? Ever fired a shotgun with one, or know somebody who uses one? Or are you just yammering what somebody who didn't ever use one told you...
None taken, I enjoy a good flame, especially in my defense! LOL

Oh cool! I think I know him! Is his name Bob?

Veni, vidi, edi
I know a Bob, he was a @$$ too LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts