Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a rem. 870 express. it has a rifled slug barrel without the threads for a screw-in choke tube. I bought it for deer hunting and I want to also use it for HD, and clay shooting. My question is this: can I shoot buck shot and bird shot down this rifled barrel or is it going to ruin my rifling? So far I have heard yes and no on other forums....I don't have money to buy another gun or barrel...I want to shoot all types of loads through this one gun. Thanx for the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
there are guns out there that come with 2 barrels for just that purpose. you could probably shoot shot through the rifled barrel and not hurt it in the short run but the rifling will make the shots come out different than a non rifled barrel. they may go up, down, left or right and won't be very accurate. my advise, trade your gun in for one with interchangable barrels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw another post like this on the S&W forum was that you?? Anyway I don't consider myself expert, but I've been shooting shotguns 45 years and have owned an 870 Wingmaster for 36 of them...

As workhorse said; you can shoot shot through your rifled barrel. However, the rifling will cause the pellets to "bounce" and you will get irregular patterns. Also, the lead could foul in the lands and grooves and you'll need to clean your barrel after shooting it. I wouldn't shoot hard water-foul-type shot, steel, etc because it could damage the lands. It might not, but why take the chance. If you want to shoot shot regularly it would be a good idea to see if you could get some one to trade you your rifled barrel for a smooth bore barrel, preferably one that has Rem-choke tubes. Then when you want to deer hunt just use foster slugs instead of sabots. The 870 has been around forever and I bet you could find a used smooth bore barrel for a reasonable price if you look enough. Or, even save up for a new one - it would be cheaper than 2 shotguns or trading the one you have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think you'd ruin the barrel, but I don't think it's the best idea. The shot will indeed lead up the rifling in the barrel and the patterns will not be usable.

You should be able to find a used barrel for an 870 pretty cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw this one on one of those Self/Home Defense gun shows. Using 00BK in a rifled barrel they did not hit the target at 10 yards with more than one pellet. Centrifugal force causes the pellets to spread uncontrollably in all directions. Also don't use rifled slugs in this barrel either. It is meant for sabot slugs. For hunting deer the rifled barrel with sabots are just as accurate as any rifle. My recommendation is for you to save a little money and buy a new barrel. A good 24" - 26" vent rib would be a good all round do-all barrel. Ebay usually has a good amount listed for way under new prices. Check it out and let us know what you decide. Good Shooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you can but it may not be as accurate. Years ago I killed a lot of deer with my only shotgun, a Winchester pump I also hunted ring necks with. That was years ago in eastern IA, few birds left in area but more deer.:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem, only with a Mossberg 500. For about 2 months I could not find a smooth bore barrel anywhere. I tried Gun Broker, Ebay, the Mossberg site. numerous internet sites and my local gun shops. I finely found a 24" smooth bore barrel at a local gun show. But I wanted a 18 or 18 1/2" barrel. Well I was lucky, the guy I bought the barrel from offered to cut it and blue it for me at no extra cost. So I got the barrel I wanted for only $60.00. So look around and especially at any local gun shows in your area. You can find one reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speaking of rifled barrels, I have a Winchester 120 and I'm wanting a rifled slug barrel. I can't find one for the life of me. I have read that the Winchester 120 is basically the economy version of the Winchester 1300. All the mechanics and workings are the same basically just the stocks are different. So that would lead me to believe that a slug barrel for the 1300 will fit my 120... Anyone have any info or ideas on this subject, even just point me in the right direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts