Shotgun Forums banner

Remington 870

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Patrick15630 
#1 ·
There are several models. Which one suggested without the camo or other weird designs?

#4 ·
I have owned a number of 870's and the one I have now is an 870 Express Mag and it was made in 1996 and it has a Walnut stock. You should consider what you plan on using it for and go from there but I will say the camo versions are sharp looking. And do you want to shoot 2 3/4, 3 inch or even the 3 1/2 mags ?? And if you want to customize it the choices are almost endless. :D

#7 ·
While most of my shotties have polymer furniture, there is just something about wood and blued steel, and Wingmasters (especially older models) are some beautiful guns. But wood or poly, the 870 action is the same, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

#8 ·
I've had my Wingmaster since the 70's, my Dad his since the 60's. My brother's all have, or have had 870's and my son has an Express. These shotguns have taken hundreds of upland game. They are hard to beat and the Wingmasters are beautiful.

#9 ·
Hello Judge, I see you own a Stoeger Condor, I was wondering about your assessment of the gun. I picked up a Condor competition a couple of weeks ago and working through figuring out the gun and the patterns. First shot was a hit and I then hit 75 percent of the clays in my first round using the 20 gauge barrels, shifted to the 12 gauge barrels and shot only 30 percent. Mechanically I like the thing, I just have to figure out where to place the barrel....

#11 ·
Considering that the 870 itself has been produced for 63 years, you have a lot of choice. New gun or used? Brand new or vintage year from 1950 on? What finish? What size chamber? What gauge? You have so many choices, it's unreal.
If you're looking for pure value, for a tough, rugged gun that is hard to beat (literally), you can't go wrong with a good old Express. A used one is an even better value than a new one, as long as it's in decent shape.
You can also find used Wingmasters and Sportsman 12's that look a little nicer than the Express models. Just be sure your used gun has a 3" chamber if you think you might want to shoot 3" shells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.