Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got an 870 express with 2 shot extension and it only holds 5 2 3/4 shells. i thought it was supposed to be 6 and looking up everywhere else its saying 6+1.
plis help i am confused here

Remington 870 express 25077

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey guys i got an 870 express with 2 shot extension and it only holds 5 2 3/4 shells. i thought it was supposed to be 6 and looking up everywhere else its saying 6+1.
plis help i am confused here

Remington 870 express 25077
Did you leave the plug in?

It's a green looking rod meant to limit the number of shells that can be loaded when waterfowl hunting.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you leave the plug in?

It's a green looking rod meant to limit the number of shells that can be loaded when waterfowl hunting.
didn't come with 1 in there's only an orange cap and spring inside the mag tube. this is bugging me i want that extra shell in there!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm seems the follower is getting stuck at this ring on the extension that is for the magazine clamp and stopping me just short of fitting the 6th shell into the mag.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, ill check it out tomorrow my PC is crapping out...well internet rather and i cant load the vid. Im hoping i dont have to do this for 1 extra shot since it did come from Remington as is.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Light Artisan may be correct. If you express didn't come off the shelf with the extension. As in you bought the extension as an extra and put it on. You will have 2 dimples in the mag tube that need to be drilled out and then smoothed.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well it came from Remington with the extension i have made 0 mods to it.
no dimples in the tube also.
The problem, i am pretty sure is the shell follower dosnt go past the groove in the mag extension.the groove is for the mag clamp (im sure you all know that).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that is just sounds blown. You got me puzzled on this one. It may very well be what you are talking about. Maybe that mag tube isn't supposed to have that indented ring around it. This is the first one I've seen like that. You don't need that for the mag clamp at all. Does the mag clamp have a raised area that's the size of that groove? So that it fits like a puzzle piece?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the screw sits slightly inside the groove but thats it, the clamp is completley smooth. i just broke it down and droped the follower into the extension and sure enough it doesn't fit past the groove.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Run a dowel through the center of the spring and compress it (not inside the extension though) and measure the total length of the compressed spring. If the length is much longer than the distance from the groove to the closed end of the rod cap the spring is the problem. If it is shorter, the follower may be the problem.

To verify the follower is the problem, remove the follower from the extension and reattach the extension to the magazine. Place the follower and 7 shells next to the shotgun (follower next to the groove) and check the total length of the follower and shells to see if they should fit.

If it looks like they should fit, then you have another problem.

By the way, are you absolutely sure you're using 2 3/4" shells? :wink:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Run a dowel through the center of the spring and compress it (not inside the extension though) and measure the total length of the compressed spring. If the length is much longer than the distance from the groove to the closed end of the rod cap the spring is the problem. If it is shorter, the follower may be the problem.

To verify the follower is the problem, remove the follower from the extension and reattach the extension to the magazine. Place the follower and 7 shells next to the shotgun (follower next to the groove) and check the total length of the follower and shells to see if they should fit.

If it looks like they should fit, then you have another problem.

By the way, are you absolutely sure you're using 2 3/4" shells? :wink:
well after holding shells next to the tube with the follower at the groove, i fit 5 shells only. Only half an inch from fitting another shell in. The follower is 5/8 of an inch long. and yea i cant compress the spring lol...thats a big struggle. The spring measures 27 1/2 inches uncompressed.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well after holding shells next to the tube with the follower at the groove, i fit 5 shells only. Only half an inch from fitting another shell in. The follower is 5/8 of an inch long. and yea i cant compress the spring lol...thats a big struggle. The spring measures 27 1/2 inches uncompressed.
It seems odd that you would be sold a shotgun with an extended magazine on it that would only hold the standard 5 shells.

Take the magazine extension off and load the shells in. See if there is something preventing them from passing into the magazine extension.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Light Artisan may be correct. If you express didn't come off the shelf with the extension. As in you bought the extension as an extra and put it on. You will have 2 dimples in the mag tube that need to be drilled out and then smoothed.
Yup, gotta take care of those dimples...I remember doing the socket thing on mine...worked fine...:)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems odd that you would be sold a shotgun with an extended magazine on it that would only hold the standard 5 shells.

Take the magazine extension off and load the shells in. See if there is something preventing them from passing into the magazine extension.
That indentation is roughly as deep as the dimples on a standard 870 that have to be drilled in order for that follower to pass by if you added a mag tube extension.

I'm going to say his initial assumption is correct. That mag extension is whack. I bet if he went down and bought a mag extension from his local gun store it would work no problem. I have never seen a mag tube with that indentation for an 870. For any shotgun as far as after market is concerned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts