Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So forgive me if this has been asked before, I searched the forum but you wouldn't guess how often the terms "remington 870" and "magazine extension" come up. :rolleyes:

I have a newer Remington 870 Express (bought 04/09, not sure on when it was actually manufactured though) and have been considering putting an 8-shot magazine extension on it. But I seem to remember hearing something about having to file down a couple little detents in the existing magazine tube to get it to work. Can you guys confirm this?

If I do, does anybody have something they can show me that details how? Also, does making this modification mean that I would no longer be able to remove the extension and put on my stock magazine cap with a limiter for when I want to go dove/quail hunting?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes you do have to file down to dimples inside the stock tube for this I used a dremel. As for as going back to the stock tube the end cap will go back on just fine the dimples are about an inch to an inch and a half inside the tube thus filing them down does not change the function of the mag tube and you can just use the stock spring and cap for waterfowl and other flying critters. The stock spring cap will be used on the new spring included with the mag extention. Or you could do what I did and cut a dowel to limit the tube to 3 shells with the extention on then you dont have to worry about switching out the parts and you still comply with the law.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UBERGEEK hit the nail on the head. just wanted to add that instead of filing, i actually just drilled out the divets with (i believe) a 1/4 bit. super easy mod

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mag extension just came in from Wilson Combat and I'm about to do this. I was told just to drill it out by my local smith and file or use fine sandpaper to remove any burrs. BTW, Wilson Combat extension is very nice.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you do have to file down to dimples inside the stock tube for this I used a dremel. As for as going back to the stock tube the end cap will go back on just fine the dimples are about an inch to an inch and a half inside the tube thus filing them down does not change the function of the mag tube and you can just use the stock spring and cap for waterfowl and other flying critters. The stock spring cap will be used on the new spring included with the mag extention. Or you could do what I did and cut a dowel to limit the tube to 3 shells with the extention on then you dont have to worry about switching out the parts and you still comply with the law.
You may or may not know this, but if the dimples don't change the function of the mag tube and you can still use the stock spring and cap, then wtf are the detents for!? What do they do? Lol. :p

Does anybody have a picture of where the detents are? I could go take mine apart, but I don't really have time right now.

My mag extension just came in from Wilson Combat and I'm about to do this. I was told just to drill it out by my local smith and file or use fine sandpaper to remove any burrs. BTW, Wilson Combat extension is very nice.
Let me know how it goes please. And I think I was going to go with a TacStar extension.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just added a two shot extension on my 870 this past Thursday. Used a Dremel tool and then touched up the area with flat black paint inside the magazine where the detent was ground down. No holes and the shells feed great. Either way you choose, just take your time and enjoy the DIY mod.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody have a picture of where the detents are? I could go take mine apart, but I don't really have time right now.
they just make it so you can take the (factory) mag-tube-cap off without the spring popping out, just a luxury thing is all. the detents missing don't hurt a thing. i went with the tacstar when i did my buddy's 870. i think i spent 30 minutes doing the whole mod

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just remember when you drill out the dimples. Remington is going to stop loving you and pull their Warranty:p

Brownells and MidwayUSA, both have Dimple Removal Tools.

AIP Tactical has a video on his website.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts