Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an older model Remington 1100 that will not reload a shell properly from magazine to breech. After firing 1st round, the empty ejects properly but the next round gets hung up in the breech and jams the gun. I’ve tried various shotgun shell brands, light and heavy loads but problem still exists. Any repair leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am sure you have made sure the gun is clean. Check the gas rings and O-Ring to make sure they are properly positioned, and the O-ring isn't bad. Second thing I would do is to remove the trigger assembly (very simple) and make sure it is not fouled up. Unburned powder can sometimes build up in the trigger assembly and it needs to be blown out. Brake cleaner followed immediately with some good high-pressure air can help. Very light lubrication after that.

I've owned numerous 1100'sin all gauges (except 16), and regular cleaning and checking the O-ring can usually fix any issue.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the gun was throughly cleaned. Trigger assembly cleaned, gas rings and o ring replaced with new. Could the extractor arm in the breech bolt be worn? Could there be anything inside the breech chamber that is worn?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing is making sure that the Feed Latch is properly peened into place inside the receiver above the carrier. If it gets off kilter it can affect feeding.
This could be the problem. When thoroughly cleaning this gun, i accidentally popped off the feed latch. I did not think anything of it at the time because it appeared to seat back into the chamber housing. But why did it pop off in the first place? Can I “re-peen” this securely back into place? Should I buy another feed latch? Is it possible for me to do this? Do I need any special type of tool?

·
Registered
653 Posts
This could be the problem. When thoroughly cleaning this gun, i accidentally popped off the feed latch. I did not think anything of it at the time because it appeared to seat back into the chamber housing. But why did it pop off in the first place? Can I “re-peen” this securely back into place? Should I buy another feed latch? Is it possible for me to do this? Do I need any special type of tool?
No. The Feed Latch that you have is fine. It can be peened back in place or just positioned properly. I had a 12 and 20 that popped out all the time and as long as I got them installed in the correct position, they were fine. My 28 gauge has never popped out. lol It probably has 10,000 rounds through it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts