Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the Savage model 24 in 20 gauge and 22 mag I needed a 20 gauge press and found an older MEC 600 JR press set up for 20 gauge for a very decent price.
I like the MEC 600 presses and already have two others set up for .410 and 12 gauge so this will complete my shotgun reloading needs.
The guy I got it from doesn't shoot or reload anymore so he tossed in all the wads and stuff he had left over.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
My main press is a 12 gauge Grabber; got rid of the 9000 when flats were $30 and I got tired of the issues of jams and spills on the auto movement. Have 2 Jr, - 1 in 20 and 1 in 12; that 12 was originally converted to 28 and then back once I sold my 28s

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got 4 MEC presses, 600 Jr.s in 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .410 bore and a 9000G in 20 gauge.

Outstanding presses.

How much was it?
It was under $200 including shipping. The seller also tossed in an extra set of 12 gauge dies along with the wads and stuff.
How do you like the 9000G?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Love the 9000G. I bought it new for $187.00 which shows you how long I've had it. I use it weekly to reload after shooting.

Only had one problem with it in all those years, and that happened around a year ago. The wad guide rod and the circlip holding it in popped out for some unknown reason. Amazingly enough, I found both of them, then decided they'd do it again so I bought spares which are happily languishing in my spares box.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Those 600Jrs. are outstanding presses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main press is a 12 gauge Grabber; got rid of the 9000 when flats were $30 and I got tired of the issues of jams and spills on the auto movement. Have 2 Jr, - 1 in 20 and 1 in 12; that 12 was originally converted to 28 and then back once I sold my 28s
I don't shoot a lot of shotgun rounds so the 600s work fine for my needs. How is the Grabber working out for you?
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the 9000G. I bought it new for $187.00 which shows you how long I've had it. I use it weekly to reload after shooting.

Only had one problem with it in all those years, and that happened around a year ago. The wad guide rod and the circlip holding it in popped out for some unknown reason. Amazingly enough, I found both of them, then decided they'd do it again so I bought spares which are happily languishing in my spares box.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Those 600Jrs. are outstanding presses.
I've never had any problems with the 600 JRs that I already have so when I saw this one at a decent price I just had to grab it. They're slower than loading with a Grabber or 9000G but work fine for my needs.
It's neat that you found the guide rod and a miracle that you found the circlip. Even if you drop one right next to where you're standing they usually disappear never to be seen again. :)
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp............

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
You're right about the circlip and I have no idea how I found it so easily. Kinda reminded me of when I had a cat and I was reassembling a P3AT and the recoil spring took off. It did three rails, wall, then ceiling, then another wall. I knew that from the sound but it was too fast for me. The cat waltzed over and looked down and there it was, right under her nose.

Unfortunately, the cat is no longer with us and the lab doesn't seem inclined to retrieve parts.

Oh, and since you mentioned a spare die set for the press, I've got a story about changing dies.

I bought my first shotgun press, a 600 Jr., right after I got out of the Army. Bought it in 20 gauge because that's all I owned at the time. A year or so later I bought a Perazzi 12 gauge and a set of dies for 12 gauge.

Must've taken me close to a half a day to change everything over and get the dies set up right and I decided then and there not to do it again. Went out and bought another 600Jr. in 20 gauge and left the 12 gauge dies set up in my first press, the way it is to this day. The 600Jr. in those days was around $50.00.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You're right about the circlip and I have no idea how I found it so easily. Kinda reminded me of when I had a cat and I was reassembling a P3AT and the recoil spring took off. It did three rails, wall, then ceiling, then another wall. I knew that from the sound but it was too fast for me. The cat waltzed over and looked down and there it was, right under her nose.

Unfortunately, the cat is no longer with us and the lab doesn't seem inclined to retrieve parts.

Oh, and since you mentioned a spare die set for the press, I've got a story about changing dies.

I bought my first shotgun press, a 600 Jr., right after I got out of the Army. Bought it in 20 gauge because that's all I owned at the time. A year or so later I bought a Perazzi 12 gauge and a set of dies for 12 gauge.

Must've taken me close to a half a day to change everything over and get the dies set up right and I decided then and there not to do it again. Went out and bought another 600Jr. in 20 gauge and left the 12 gauge dies set up in my first press, the way it is to this day. The 600Jr. in those days was around $50.00.
Lucky you had the cat.
I got the 12 gauge press first and looked into getting a set of .410 dies for it. After reading up and watching a couple videos on changing dies I decided it would be far easier and less stressful to just get another press. :)
This was some years ago when nice used MEC 600 JR presses were plentiful and relatively cheap though it did take a while to find a press set up for .410.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a Grabber 8567N in 12 gauge and really like it. I started with a 600 Jr. in 12 in 1975 and still own my original 410 loader (600 Jr. that I bought in around 1980 or so). I use a Sizemaster in 20 and 28. All fine loaders and will all last me for the rest of my life.

Good luck and all the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts