Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new trap shootermand am also new to reloading. i am looking for opinions on what is the best size shot for reloading for strong trap performance and occassional skeet use as well. I'm thinking bigger shot for the longer yardage shots would be better???????? By bigger shot, I mean 7 1/2
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
if youre just going to be on the 16yd line, use 8's across the board. that way you can hop over to the skeet field and still do well.
once you get past 20yds...it needs to be 7 1/2 w/ 1 1/8oz shot loads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobski! I have already bought WAA-12 wads for 1 1/8 oz shot. Looks like that was the right choice.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
what hull you going to use?

sounds like youre going full house on all your loads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bobski, I have already reloaded 25 AAs. I have 50 more factory loaded AAs that I will reload after I use them at the range. May be looking to you for some once fired ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
old aa's or the new HS aa's?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shot my first reloads at the trap range yesterday. They worked awesome! Was using 18.2 grains of Clays. I am dropping the charge to 17.3 I was concerned with the 8.5s being able to reach out on the longer trap shots, but they seemed to work great. As for my hulls, they are Factory AA target loads. They were easy to reload. I have 2 more boxes, which will give me 100 hulls, so I will be needing hulls eventually.
If you're interested in the specific recipe of my first loads, it was: AA hull, WAA12 wad, CCI 209, 1 1/8 oz #8.5, 18.2 grains clays. I will be dropping the charge to 17.3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep it simple --- if you are just starting you will be shooting singles from the 16 and handicap from the 20. Load a 2 3/4 dram eq shell --- 1 1/8 #8 and shoot the one shell. If you are loading AA hulls - 17 to 17.5 grains of Clays with the Win orange wad should get it done.....
When you get a punch or 2 you may want to simple change to 7 1/2 shot but is not necessary.
Just shooting one shell at everything really simplifies your reloading...
And as for chokes - any choke you want to use as long as it is full is fine. There are several good schools of thought on chokes --- Again simpler is better, pick your chokes and don't change them.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
old and new aa's are not the same. use caution.

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
You and your shoulder will soon find that 1-1/8 oz not only beats your shoulder too much, but also your wallet. You will be amazed how nice 1oz or even 7/8oz breaks targets, saves money on shot and saves shoulders from pain and damage which leads to flinches and release triggers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can the WAA-12 wad be used for 1 oz load? Assuming of course the correct powder charge is observed.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
not reliably. the old loading books show numerous loads for 1oz, but they never gave me good results. ive tried it with waa112's, but they dribble and the crimp goes too deep. when you shake the hull, the shot can be heard rattling around.

use a 12SO federal wad instead.

Reactions: SkipD

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cotton doctor gave some good advise. Personally, I don't think you need 1 1/8 oz of shot for either trap or skeet. I use Remington Premier or the older Winchester AA hulls, 17.5 grains of Hodgdons Clays powder, pink Claybuster wads and #8 shot, for a 1 ounce load. A full choke is fine for trap, but a little tight for skeet. I shoot a Weatherby Orion, Sporting Clays, O/U, with screw in chokes. I like skeet/skeet for skeet shooting and mod/full for trap......Robin

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
For practice, I reload 3/4oz in 12 and 20; saves even more money and recoil abuse. When the targets cost serious money (registered) I shoot factory 1 oz or bigger. By minimizing the practice loads it also means I have to focus harder on the target for a good hit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts