Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for 22lr I reload for all my firearms, handguns-rifles-shotguns, including some home defense loads for the handguns and shotguns but never considered this legal aspect of doing so.
Definitely something to consider especially if you live in a firearm unfriendly State.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..............

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Ayoob has always been against using reloads for self defense and while I don't totally agree with his conclusions and opinions, I do follow his advice simply because it's cheap insurance for me.

And, like Dr. Tramp, I reload everything I shoot except for rimfire. Rifles, handguns, shotguns. Makes for quite an inventory of components including 5 different types of primers and 62 different types of bullets and, of course, a bunch of different shot sizes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it would depend on what state you're in too. Here in Wyoming it would be difficult to put together a jury comprised of people unfamiliar with firearms while in California, New York, or some other firearm unfriendly state it would be another matter.
This won't stop me from reloading but it is a legal point worth considering.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp..........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The simple solution is always have factory ammo in whatever firearm you keep out or carry for personal defense.
Something that wasn't touched on in the video though is what if you shoot somebody with factory loaded "Personal Defense" ammo. Could this still be used to show that you intended to shoot somebody and cause maximum harm?
Whatever, this won't stop me from reloading but it is something to consider.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...........

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
I reload shotgun for hunting and targets; factory for HD; I reload rifle for hunting or target shooting, no for HD, I reload handguns for each gun but not for 9mm. I use CCI?Speer 124 factory JHP in the gun and Speer 124TMJ for practice as it replicates the expensive ammo regarding POI/POA

·
Registered
627 Posts
I also believe it would be easy to find a Texas jury that would be sympathetic to a handloader. I reload all of my shotgun including 00, #3 and #4 buckshot loads. I still load all of my rifle from 204 Ruger to 9.3 X 62. Even some BP and +P 45-70. I retired from my original career path in 2003 and started a new one (still had 2 daughters in college). :D

I mistakenly thought I was done with handloading as my new career was a terrible time suck (but a rewarding job). I got rid of all of my handgun reloading stuff including a really nice Dillon 650 set up for 45 ACP. I loaded my 44 and 357 Mag. on my single stage. I loaded a few other handgun calibers, but those were my main ones I loaded for. I gave away (or sold) close to 15,000 bullets along with many dies and primers. I moved a couple of times over the next few years and got tired of dragging everything around with me. I moved my safes and most rifles/shotguns/handguns to my youngest daughter's house and stored the remainder of my loading stuff at my Mom's. Permanent retirement came in 2012 and after moving here to Fort Bend County in 2013, I moved all of my remaining stuff here. My SIL really hated losing access to all of my guns to shoot, but it jump started him to start purchasing some of his own which is a good thing.

I kick myself for not just storing ALL of my stuff at my Mom's but didn't want to be a bother. I just shoot factory in my handguns these days. I no longer shoot 500 rounds per week, and even though I can shoot handgun at my place, it doesn't break the bank to just buy it. I do have a goodly amount of 45 ACP IPSC loads and plenty of 44 and 357. My hot 44 Mag. loads are pretty much done as arthritis in my hands has come to a point of it not being very fun anymore.

Some good points are made and should be considered for those living in less gun friendly states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts