·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first refinish job on my 870 police model that I

bought well used for fairly cheap.

All the refinishing was done by me (with a little help from my father

who blasted the barrel, magazine tube, follower, barrel clamp, and

receiver at his work) using Norrell's semi-gloss black and a cheap airbrush kit (or you can find it at A2ZHobbies.com) that I had my brother pick up at a hobby shop near him.

I absolutely recommend Norrell's Moly Resin for any refinishing or touch up work. It was absolutely simple to do. Moly Resin even adheres to plastic. :mrgreen:

So without further ado I'll give you some photos.

I'll have to give you the after photos first while I dig around for the before pictures.

It's important to wear a ventilator. After all, you only get one set of lungs and after you kill all your braincells from inhaling fumes you can't get any more.

After the first coat on the reciever.

The inside of the just sprayed receiver. (arguably the hardest part--spraying the inside, but not with so much that it's drippy or too heavy.)

Still wet receiver.

Still a little wet. The wetness caught the flash and looks speckled.

The oven full of parts curing.

Someone was asking how I had my barrel hanging in the oven?
A bent loop stuck in the receiver end of the barrel.

A close up of the barrel curing at a very hot to touch 300 degrees F. (clickable)

Here's the magazine extension tube; magazine clamp; and magazine follower curing in the oven.

The refinished and cured parts.

The refinished parts mock assembled.

Magazine follower.

Hard to see, but I even sprayed inside the follower.

Another angle.

Magazine extension, magazine clamp, and follower. I think that's some oil from my hands on the barrel.

Magazine extension.

Manually focused magazine extension. ;)

The barrel. (I actually taped over and didn't refinish the rear sight since I didn't want to blast off or paint over the white triangle pointing to the center notch).

Rear of barrel.

Inside the receiver. (do I have enough pics yet? and I'm actually deleting them as I go :shock:)

Just wanted to show that I sprayed the inside of the receiver. (it's amazing that the tolerance is close enough that I could feel the tightness when I put the bolt back in).

Another showing the inside of the receiver.

Here's my shotgun.

I'll be adding photos as I edit them.

I'll bump the thread once I'm done.

ETA: more pictures.

A close up of the barrel and magazine tube extension.

The receiver end of the barrel. (notice the unfinished slide rails--maybe I'll do that next and refinish the wood too.)

& another.

Close up of the receiver. The line is when I laid it down on the metal plate to cure. The rest of the time I hung it with coat hangers.

& another.

Trigger assembly, bolt, and slide rails weren't refinished.

& another.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool

Right on man!!! That's one project I never got around to doing, im jealous!! Everything that you did was all pictured in my head, so its nice to actually see pictures of someone else doing it. Tell me, is that a 20" barrel? and how were you hanging the the receiver up, are there holes in the mag tube?

Great job, im very envious!! and you toped it off with walnut furniture, awesome, simply awesome!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait a second, do I also see a wingmaster bolt? or did you just polish it? I see exactly where you were going with this project. Thats exactly how my shotgun is setup minus the chrome bolt and my barrel is flush with the mag extension. :D:D:D We have the same taste, nothing like a classic KISS 870

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait a second, do I also see a wingmaster bolt? or did you just polish it? I see exactly where you were going with this project. Thats exactly how my shotgun is setup minus the chrome bolt and my barrel is flush with the mag extension. :D:D:D We have the same taste, nothing like a classic KISS 870
Yeah, I think my shotgun is actually a Wingmaster. It was an old police trade-in that I bought used from a local shop.

One things for sure, it's definitely not an 870 express. ;)

I can't remember if my 870 is a 18.5" barrel or a 20", but I want to say that it's a 20 inch.

I have more pictures, and now I have time to link the rest. Most of them are just close up shots of the parts.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea its a 20", if it were a 18.5 it would be flush with the tube, if it were a true 18" the barrel would be and 1/2" shorter then the end of the tube.

For some reason I was thinking your shotgun was a newer police model, I asked about the bolt because i've actually installed a chrome Wingmaster bolt into a express before.

Either way, that is a nice shotgun you have. My next 870 will be a police Wingmaster. :D

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A bunch of pictures added, and apparently some were added and then I deleted them. ;)

Here's one of the before pics.

It's hard to see in the blurry photo, but the bluing was very shiny (I didn't like it) and in many parts (like the magazine tube it was worn to bare metal).

I still need to find the other pictures.

Eta: I just remembered that I had another before pic in my XDtalk photo gallery.
XDTalk Gallery - Mostly disassembled - Powered by PhotoPost

Not the best pic, but it gives you something of an idea of the worn finish.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea thats the part I was talking about. Ive never seen a follower like that, is it factory? Have you thought about buying a hi viz follower? I use the Wilson combat and I hear the vang comp is good too.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great, I did the same thing to an 870 I found for cheap. Ive done 6 guns now with molyresin and probably will never use anything else. I have abused the finish on my shotty to test it and its still holding up great!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.
Yea thats the part I was talking about. Ive never seen a follower like that, is it factory? Have you thought about buying a hi viz follower? I use the Wilson combat and I hear the vang comp is good too.
I think it's a factory follower. I've thought about replacing the follower with a wilson, but I'm not sure I see a need right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts