Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 12Ga shotgun, which is my home defense gun and I have been trying desperately to find a load that produces less recoil. I'm a healthy person but at 155 pounds, and firing round after round on the range, the kick of a 12 gauge can be brutal. I have been looking all over the internet for the low recoil loads but they're not available--- so I'm seriously thinking of selling or trading in my 12 gauge for something else. The .410 would be ideal for me, but the ammo for it is so expensive. I'm also considering, maybe a 9mm revolver or something similar but it's a tuff decision. I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts and or advice!
Thanks,
-John

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 12Ga shotgun, which is my home defense gun and I have been trying desperately to find a load that produces less recoil. I'm a healthy person but at 155 pounds, and firing round after round on the range, the kick of a 12 gauge can be brutal. I have been looking all over the internet for the low recoil loads but they're not available--- so I'm seriously thinking of selling or trading in my 12 gauge for something else. The .410 would be ideal for me, but the ammo for it is so expensive. I'm also considering, maybe a 9mm revolver or something similar but it's a tuff decision. I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts and or advice!
Thanks,
-John
What type of load are you shooting currently ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of load are you shooting currently?
Hello and thanks for responding. I had been shooting (Fetter 00 9 pellet buckshot ) loads but the kick is just too hard so I had to put them aside. And like I said in my previous message, I have seen reduced recoil loads online, but they're all unavailable. And as much as I hate to say it, I think until we get through the covid crisis, (whenever that is), this is the way things are going to be.
Stay safe,
John

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and thanks for responding. I had been shooting (Fetter 00 9 pellet buckshot ) loads but the kick is just too hard so I had to put them aside. And like I said in my previous message, I have seen reduced recoil loads online, but they're all unavailable. And as much as I hate to say it, I think until we get through the covid crisis, (whenever that is), this is the way things are going to be.
Stay safe,
John
I rephrased your question and searched the net for the answer to my phrasing which was "Is 1 1/8 oz of #7.5 shot viable for home defense?" and the answer I got was:

Matt P.
, Gun owner, engaged in state/national gun policies and politics, instructor/FFL03

Beats harsh language.
Larger numbers of smaller pellets aren’t as energetic as a smaller number of larger ones but no one can argue someone won’t notice they’re getting pelted with them. If the same spray can take down a clay pigeon or a real one, it is still going to seriously harm anyone in its path. Perhaps not as decisively as a 00 buck purpose-made defensive load but no one is going to be wiping a cloud of pellets from their jacket and keep on coming.
If #7.5 target loads are all you have, load up and make sure you follow up with a second or third shot to ensure you have the intruder’s messy and undivided attention. The pellets you can put in the air beats those you wish you had.
As I said, it beats harsh language.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rephrased your question and searched the net for the answer to my phrasing which was "Is 1 1/8 oz of #7.5 shot viable for home defense?" and the answer I got was:

Matt P.
, Gun owner, engaged in state/national gun policies and politics, instructor/FFL03

Beats harsh language.
Larger numbers of smaller pellets aren’t as energetic as a smaller number of larger ones but no one can argue someone won’t notice they’re getting pelted with them. If the same spray can take down a clay pigeon or a real one, it is still going to seriously harm anyone in its path. Perhaps not as decisively as a 00 buck purpose-made defensive load but no one is going to be wiping a cloud of pellets from their jacket and keep on coming.
If #7.5 target loads are all you have, load up and make sure you follow up with a second or third shot to ensure you have the intruder’s messy and undivided attention. The pellets you can put in the air beats those you wish you had.
As I said, it beats harsh language.
Thank you so much, my friend. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to research and share this information with me.
Again, please stay safe.
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts