Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forums, hope I'm not misplacing this post.

I've got an oooooold Mossberg 500, bought in the early 90s. Haven't used it much but it's in fine condition. I got inspired to rehab this gun and turn it into a good home defense weapon. Main problem is getting anything to pencil out dollars-wise. It's not a very valuable gun. Adding to the problem is the fact that the barrel is 24" long and I really want 18.5". Cutting and crowing a barrel is fine but then I'd need to tap and drill for front sight again, etc. Further complicating matters is that I can't seem to find a tritium (or somehow night visible) rear ghost ring sight.

So, I had the bright idea that I could just buy an 18.5" barrel (about $90), mount a cheap little UTG picatinny rail on the receiver and mount a red dot sight up there. But for HD use I really want it to be "always on". I keep coming back to the Aimpoint Micro T-1 and that little sucker costs in the neighborhood of a cool $700! Jeez!

Any ideas? I would have preferred fixed night sights on this guy (I will have a tac light mounted on the forend) but I'm just trying to figure out a quick and easy solution. Are there any "always on" sights like the Aimpoint product line which aren't going to break the bank and would be ideal for this application?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aimpoint PRO.

Or practice point shooting.

Posted from Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note II while using the restroom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts