Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.Just wanted to know if its worth having an old Remington 870 refinished for my grangson. It was give to me by my dad when I was 8-9.
Still functions great just alot of pitting and some rust. Also have a Marlin Glenfield MDL 25 in about the same condition. I would say both are 40+years old.

Thanks, TC

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're kidding, right? I would love to have one of my grandaddy's guns.
Don't touch it. It will be worth more the way it is, as he gets older.
Even if it becomes a wallhanger, it will always be grandaddy's gun, and Remington will keep making more if he needs something to hunt with.
Told my dad to leave the house to my sisters, just leave me his dad's gun. That was before he got broke into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As they will be passed down and kept in the family, I would have them refinished and put back into tip-top shape so they remain completely functional and useable. Not being a "collector," I have never been able to understand how an old rusty non-operational firearm can be worth more than an old completely functional one, except as a rare historical relic, which the 870 isn't.

You should contact someone like Theo at Theo's Shotgun Corner in Virginia, who does old-fashion hot bluing and and stock refinishing : 434-248-6250 I highly recommend him; his work is second to none. He mainly works on shotguns and rifles and has done a lot of bluing for me. JMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it would be an excellent project for you and your grandson. Just strip the old wood w. chemical or sandpaper, steam out any dents, and spray w. a good poly coat. You can buy a DuraCoat refinishing kit for the metal for about $40.00. Just follow the instructions.
A joint project like this is the stuff great memories are made from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts