Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a mossy 500 w/16" barrel. Has an evil "barrel shroud" so you cant even really see the barrel:rolleyes:...or at least thats how its supposed to work according to many of the people running things right now:confused:. Back to reality, i have the pistol grip it came with and a knoxstock, along with a side saddle.

so i think i would like a railed "pump" section to hold a small tac light and stubby VFG.

i do have a dedicated VFG from surefire for one AR and like the simplicity. Is the Surefire dedicated forend really better in any other way than simplicity over a rail system? seems to me that the rails would allow for a super light weight light like the x300 that is also an LED and a bit more rugged.

so what says you? which way would you go, or would you go a completely different way? No ego here, just want the best setup and everyone here combines to know more about the reasons for and against than anything else out there! Plus i know most all of it is first hand.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate VFG's on shotguns; look recockulous, but that's just me.

I'd get a Surefire forend with an integrated light and call it good.

(After ditching the heat shield and putting a fixed, short-length Speedfeed or Hogue stock on it...but again, that's just me...;)).

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm different I guess. I love a VFG on my pump and I have a tri-railed forend and have a grip and a light and I LOVE IT!! It works for me. It looks Mall Ninja but it works well and it's comfortable in my hands. I'll dig up a picture.

It's a Mako forend, you can find better quality but this works just fine and fits tight. I use a Streamlight TLR-1s on the left side rail and can actuate the light with my index finger perfectly. It's much cheaper than a Surefire forend but like I said, it works for me.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are several reasons that i would like a VFG. one is due to a slight disability that makes the VFG much more comfy than without. also would like the option of having one when i need it but removing it if not. if im really being practical i could care less what my weapon looks like, if it gives me ANY advantage ill take it, as im sure anyone else will.

i prefer to make each weapon as durable as possible. so i am not sure whether a polimer would hold up, but the metal adds weight.

while the autoloaders are great, i wouldnt want one unless it was a benelli combat model or a saiga. i prefer the reliability and agility of the pump.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those surefire forends cost almost as much as my 870 did. If you already have a tac-light I'd just get a railed forend or a railed barrel clamp. That's what I'm doing since my TLR-1 is just collecting dust right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts