Shotgun Forums banner

Question On The Saiga-12

2K views 16 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
Please remind me but is it a fact that you do need 3 or 4 ports for it to run correctly? Once again, mine has only 2 ports. Even though I haven't shot mine yet to know, is it definately a bad thing? I do have a MD V-plug. Through all of my viewing, I've forgotton if I've seen any 2 port success stories.

#4 ·
Right and thanks much. I've read about the different size ports if you choose to drill a 3rd and still yet a different size if you want to configure a 4 port but have forgotton if I've seen any 2 port guns that haven't needed any work and do alright right out the box. Shoot, I've read where even the 3 and 4 port guns didn't work properly too. Here's my pic of my 2 ports . . .

#6 ·
If I were going to get another, the first thing I would do is to check to see how many ports it had. I'd feel better about it working right out the box if it had more than 2. Of course the true test is shooting the one you buy to see if any modiifcations are actually needed in the first place (which most feel they do).

#10 ·
Yup. Not a big deal. You can just bore them out a little more. I still need to do mine.
Yeah, I'm a member there also and a great deal of info! Guess I'll determine the size holes of the 2 ports that I have and that should determine if it it's going to be a 3 or 4 port gun. lot seem the happiest with a 3 port gun. Fowling issues supposedly, if they not right.

#12 ·
I got SAIGAs in all gauges and they seem to change it up alot on the gas systems.

One bit of advice I can give is break them in hard. Put it on the lowbrass gas setting and shoot the snot out of it with the heaviest loads you can get. FWIW I keep mine on the low brass setting all the time and put a buffer in them. They NEVER miss a beat and are the fastest cycleing and softest shooting gas guns I have shot in any gauge.

The fixed barrel also means it will throw a mean slug group.

Go shoot it before you do anything to it. I have 3 and my brother has a few of every gauge. some of ours are 10 years old and some are brand spankin new and not a single one has a problem with good ammo.

the only problem I have seen is the magazines will warp plastic shells over time if you keep them loaded. I would change the ammo in the mags every month at the longest when I kept it bedside.

#13 ·
I got SAIGAs in all gauges and they seem to change it up alot on the gas systems.

One bit of advice I can give is break them in hard. Put it on the lowbrass gas setting and shoot the snot out of it with the heaviest loads you can get. FWIW I keep mine on the low brass setting all the time and put a buffer in them. They NEVER miss a beat and are the fastest cycleing and softest shooting gas guns I have shot in any gauge.

The fixed barrel also means it will throw a mean slug group.

Go shoot it before you do anything to it. I have 3 and my brother has a few of every gauge. some of ours are 10 years old and some are brand spankin new and not a single one has a problem with good ammo.

the only problem I have seen is the magazines will warp plastic shells over time if you keep them loaded. I would change the ammo in the mags every month at the longest when I kept it bedside.
I think that's good advice which I'll take. I understand the consisdency varies a great deal in these guns but the size and number of ports from one to another have really become an issue.

#14 ·
Mine has never liked bird shot so I decided to take a look at how many ports were in there. I could only see 2 small ports when looking in the gas block so I decided I was going to do some drilling. I take the gas block off and guess what? there are 4 holes. Turns out the gas block was blocking at least one hole and partially obstructing the third. I made the hole in the gas block larger so now when I look in I can see all the holes. I really really hope that solves the under gassing problems.

#16 ·
I think that's good advice which I'll take. I understand the consisdency varies a great deal in these guns but the size and number of ports from one to another have really become an issue.
My first SAIGA was a 410. That was the first gauge they were made in. It had 4 holes and an odd gas piston. The piston was hollow and was recessed in the middle with big holes in it. the gas bled off at that point, went into the piston and pushed the op rod. It was not adjustable like the new 410s. It got DIRTY fast. Chunks of plastic and even lead would be in there all the time. I had to soak in a good penetrating oil and stick my pinky finger in to get it out.

that gun came with an extra firing pin spring and a note in the envelope said to change the firing pin spring after 1000 rounds. It lasted about 2000 and the second one lasted another 2000. After that the gun started to fall apart. The new 410s and larger gauges are made more durable. I sure did love that first SAIGA, but it was a turd after being worn out lol......

#17 ·
This part was taken from an old thread by JeffD entitled "Modification to repair FTE issues on Saigas with blocked gas ports" in which he said . . .

"NOTE 2: I had a lengthy conversation with Clyde from RAAC regarding this issue and my modification. RAAC is VERY concerned about this issue and is doing everything in their power to make it right. If you are having FTE issues with your Saiga, contact RAAC and see about getting your non-converted gun warranted. After talking with Clyde it is my understanding that 2, 3 and 4 port guns have been produced. The 2 port guns are supposed to have slightly larger diameter ports. (I will confirm/verify this in a separate post.) In any case, your guns should properly cycle all ammo. If you have only one port, or one and 'some' ports showing, this simple modification will get your gun working properly without having to deal with warranty repairs."

Hope this is true of mine and that I don't have to fix anything. I did contact CADIZ Gunworks the other day and found out that their warranty contract had run out, however, they still do the super quality work for a charge. I talked to Vicki and had a great conversation. She/Mike evidently really know their stuff. I also called Legion USA, Inc. in Hallondale Beach, FLA. and talked to Jacob about the 1 year warranty since mine is a Legion gun. He did say that they would reimburse the customer if they had a shop do any legitimate repair locally (or elsewhere too I suppose). Or, you could send it to them and they have resources there that could do any needed work. And like others have said, shoot it first and see if anything is wrong to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.