Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can't speak for their Hip-Waders, but I grew up using LaCrosse Chest Waders. Probably the most expensive piece of waterfowling equipment next to your shotgun. The Texas Marshes and Ricefields were hard on them too. Many cheaper brands wouldn't even make it half way through a season. lol

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I first started to duck/goose hunt many years ago I, like most of my hunting mates, wore hip boots and getting a wet boot or two was just a problem we put up with. Leter we all went with chest waders and boy what an improvement that was. Be sure and buy a GOOD QUALITY brand and insulated too. Only way to go, your whole body stays warm and dry!

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
When I first started to duck/goose hunt many years ago I, like most of my hunting mates, wore hip boots and getting a wet boot or two was just a problem we put up with. Leter we all went with chest waders and boy what an improvement that was. Be sure and buy a GOOD QUALITY brand and insulated too. Only way to go, your whole body stays warm and dry!
And the shoulder straps help keep the mud from sucking that boot off.................

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
But you've got to be very careful with Chest Waders. They drowned the guy that was my wedding photographer many years ago. He went under and never came back up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wouldn't that have a tendency to float you upside down if you fell in? Just curious.
I guess if you jumped in head first, but if you're wading and fall, most of the air has already been forced out. Even if there were air trapped, it wouldn't turn you upside down, it would just keep your legs up on top where you could float on your back and stroke towards safety. The issue with them filling with water is they become so heavy you can't easily swim, walk, or even crawl.

I fish (a lot), so I've been there a few times. The standard safety recommendation is wear the belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts