Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, due to a recent falling out with a friend and a few threats its time i start a few upgrades on the shotgun. We have limited resources when it comes to firearms and im starting to see why you guys like shotguns as your main HD gun. The 870 express is the first firearm i purchased and that was only 2 years ago so im kinda new to all of this. It has a 26" vent rib on it with the laminate stock/forend. As it sits right now the only thing i have on it is a butt stock sleave for 5 rounds. Im looking to add a few things to it like a +5 tube and a sling. Wanted to get an opinion on a few things and you guys are more than welcome to suggest stuff to me. For the mag tube i want to use Nordic Components and the sling would be the Specter Gear 2 point tactical. If you guys have used these parts i would love to hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would reconsider the 870. I have one but the difference between mine and your is barrel length. 26' might be a little large for home defense, Mine is 18' and I still feel thats too large.

If you have the cash, buy something with a shorter length in barrel, or just buy the barrel and swap it out.

And if your having threats made to you and your home. Calling the Fuzz might be your best and safest bet. You dont want a problem protecting your home, so saying things about your ol' friend are best left off the web.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 870's that I got from walmart and made it a "tactical" and "home defense". Both were the express models and both had 28in barrels. One I got a blackhawk shell holder sling, knoxx recoil reducing compstock with hogue forend, factory 2 shell mag tube extension, tacstar side saddle and a Remington 18in barrel

The other has a 18in barrel, and a hogue pistol grip and forend

The pistol grip one cost me about $150 in mods, the other one well...... Almost double :(

I got all the stuff from eBay or gunbroker

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2 870's that I got from walmart and made it a "tactical" and "home defense". Both were the express models and both had 28in barrels. One I got a blackhawk shell holder sling, knoxx recoil reducing compstock with hogue forend, factory 2 shell mag tube extension, tacstar side saddle and a Remington 18in barrel

The other has a 18in barrel, and a hogue pistol grip and forend

The pistol grip one cost me about $150 in mods, the other one well...... Almost double :(

I got all the stuff from eBay or gunbroker
WOW! for the price you payed you were better off buying 870 in a 18" and prob had some cash left over....:cool: bet it looks bad ass though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would reconsider the 870. I have one but the difference between mine and your is barrel length. 26' might be a little large for home defense, Mine is 18' and I still feel thats too large.

If you have the cash, buy something with a shorter length in barrel, or just buy the barrel and swap it out.

And if your having threats made to you and your home. Calling the Fuzz might be your best and safest bet. You dont want a problem protecting your home, so saying things about your ol' friend are best left off the web.

I see they are going for 125ish so ill check cabelas around here since they have a decent stock of 870 parts. As for the old friend the fuzz have already been called. long story not going into it for privacy issues.

Now if i go with an 18in am i pretty much confined to a +2 tube? and a 20in is +3?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the 870HD express model with the 18" barrel and 6+1 round tube for $360 OTD. Added a combat stock w/pistol grip later on. I'm happy with it until the keltec ksg comes out.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you get the 18 1/2'' i do believe you are held to +2 b/c you dont want an extension longer then your barrel. but then again, when do you ever need more then 7 rounds of 00? or slugs? Other then the shorter barrel I dont really see you needing anything else, besides maybe a light (Depends on your personal preference)

As for the gentleman reccomending an even shorter barrel, its not worth the added paperwork from atf/transfer fees. for a HD gun anyways

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you get the 18 1/2'' i do believe you are held to +2 b/c you dont want an extension longer then your barrel. but then again, when do you ever need more then 7 rounds of 00? or slugs? Other then the shorter barrel I dont really see you needing anything else, besides maybe a light (Depends on your personal preference)

As for the gentleman reccomending an even shorter barrel, its not worth the added paperwork from atf/transfer fees. for a HD gun anyways
Im staying away from lights, we have night lights in our apartment for a reason. I am limited to 18in or longer thanks to our wonderful laws here in Illinois.:rolleyes: would love to be able to have class 3 arms but its not worth the felony charge and mandatory jail time lol

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the lights im not a huge fan, 18 is plenty small, especially if you get a shorter stock that brings then 870 to just 26'' to make it a long gun

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sigh..... I know. I remember after it was all said and done I was at sportsmans warehouse and they had a 870 with a 18 in barrel and mag extension for like $320
Exact same one I have. I even bought it at sportsmans warehouse before I left from working there. It was my first purchase when I hit 18. More like a good luck purchase as I left that place. I loved it there, so many nice people and there prices were always better than cabelas.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should've been more clear. I meant for him to purchase a shorter barrel than the 26" he has going, I didn't mean shorter than 18". For me, my 18" barrel is too much.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NEF pardner pump. 18.5 bbl, mako m1 style stock, 6 round side saddle. i have the mako tac forend for it but havn't put it on. it has 2 side rails and a bottom rail for a VG

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is my take on the HD shotgun:

I have a mossberg 590, and haven't changed a single thing on it, except to add a flashlight.

I'm not sure how expensive barrels are, I think they are $150-200. I don't know how strapped you are for cash, but I'd just buy a 590 and not mess with the skeet gun you have. By the time you buy a barrel, a mag extension, sights, and butt stock, I don't think the $ saved is worth the time and effort. I'd guess you might save about $50 or maybe $100...But that depends on how much you change.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buy an extra 18" smooth bore, cylinder bore barrel (Remington part# 24620). You can buy one here for $124.99. Remington 870 Replacement Shotgun Barrels, Barrels & Chokes, Firearm Components, Shooting : Cabela's

Add a +2 mag extension. I bought a TacStar from the local gun shop and have been 100% satisfied with it. Easy to install and have never had any feed issues. It cost me $45.
http://www.tacstar.com/home/magazine-extensions-02.php

The only thing to remember is the modern 870 has a spring retainer in the tube. This is held in place by a set of dimples. Before you can have the magazine accept more than 5 shells, these dimples need to be removed. I had a gunsmith do it and you cannot tell there were ever any dimples. I think he charged me $40.

Here's the gun and all the parts.

The total cost of converting my 870 to a home defense weapon was about $250. The nice thing is in less than a minute I can change it from hunting mode to home defense mode or vice versa.

If that's not enough to satisfy you, get a sling with shell holders, a bandoleer or a side saddle for it.
Tactical Options - Tactical Gear and SWAT Equipment - BlackHawk- Shot Shell Sling (hold 15) Black
Tactical Options - Tactical Gear and SWAT Equipment - BlackHawk- Shotgun Bandoleer Black
TacStar® TacStar Products your primary source for tactical accessories

In my opinion, anything more gets to be a bit much for a home defense weapon.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my take on the HD shotgun:

I have a mossberg 590, and haven't changed a single thing on it, except to add a flashlight.

I'm not sure how expensive barrels are, I think they are $150-200. I don't know how strapped you are for cash, but I'd just buy a 590 and not mess with the skeet gun you have. By the time you buy a barrel, a mag extension, sights, and butt stock, I don't think the $ saved is worth the time and effort. I'd guess you might save about $50 or maybe $100...But that depends on how much you change.
Not horribly strapped for cash but for some reason the wife will let me spend the same if not more than a new shotgun but doesnt see the need for another shotgun in the house. Dont understand the logic sometimes but im not going to argue when it comes to purchasing stuff lol. I would just buy a police model but its easier to convince her to spend money on something i already have lol.

Buy an extra 18" smooth bore, cylinder bore barrel (Remington part# 24620). You can buy one here for $124.99.

Add a +2 mag extension. I bought a TacStar from the local gun shop and have been 100% satisfied with it. Easy to install and have never had any feed issues. It cost me $45.

The only thing to remember is the modern 870 has a spring retainer in the tube. This is held in place by a set of dimples. Before you can have the magazine accept more than 5 shells, these dimples need to be removed. I had a gunsmith do it and you cannot tell there were ever any dimples. I think he charged me $40.

The total cost of converting my 870 to a home defense weapon was about $250. The nice thing is in less than a minute I can change it from hunting mode to home defense mode or vice versa.

If that's not enough to satisfy you, get a sling with shell holders, a bandoleer or a side saddle for it.
Tactical Options - Tactical Gear and SWAT Equipment - BlackHawk- Shot Shell Sling (hold 15) Black
Tactical Gear and SWAT Equipment - BlackHawk- Shotgun Bandoleer

In my opinion, anything more gets to be a bit much for a home defense weapon.
Ill check my local cabelas tonight on the way home from WI and see if they have it in stock. I remember them having a ton of Remington products when i bought my 870 there. I remember the issue with the dimples ill probably drill them out as the gun needs a good cleaning to begin with. I would do a side saddle for the receiver but then i have to change out the furniture and that is not something i want to do right now. Pistol grips do not belong on skeet gun imho lol. Tried one once and its not comfortable to use. When I get the barrel and mag tube on ill look into slings and bandoleer's.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fun Fact on putting side saddles on receivers: i had the same problem with mine when i put my SS on my 870 clone. took the synthetic stock off and used a sawzall to cut it down where i needed it. sanded the cut edge down. worked fine and didnt look like crap either.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GSH's advice is solid. My go-to HD shotty (actually, the second long arm I'd choose, but I won't argue the efficacy of a shotgun) is an old Wingmaster that I had the barrel chopped to 18.1" , added a Scattergun Tech +2 tube, and an XS tritium front bead; total cost (including shotgun purchase) was under $275. I preferred the Wilson/ST extended tube because it came with Wilson's Hi-Viz/High relaibility follower.

However, Nordic also makes good stuff. I have a +8 tube from them for my M1S90.

Just remember, though...birdshot is for anything that weighs under ten pounds. For anything heavier, buckshot is the way to go.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got a few things ordered tonight. a +2 two tube (strictly for HD), a +5 tube (strictly for clays), Barrel clamp, and a 50rd bandoleer (shtf purposes). The Wife and I are headed to Cabelas this week for their supposed ladies night and she wants to see what its all about so ill grab an 18in barrel then. When i get it all put together ill get pics up. You guys have all seen a stock 870 so no need for pics now lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts