Shotgunforums.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the issue I think. The claybuster wad is just a silly milli higher in the powder containment area. When I seat the wad over the powder it appears the wad/powder combo is pushing the primer out. Anyway, tried not seating the wad so hard and now the primers stay put.
Curt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1oz, thanks. I'm just starting with reloading shot shells. The P/W press I'm using was set up for 12 ga and .410 bore prior to my getting it. You said that the wad should basically just sit on the powder with no pressure, interesting. I'll change what I'm doing ASAP.
Thanks, Curt

·
Registered
102 Posts
As 1 Oz. said that should not be happening, you got something else going on.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Found the issue I think. The claybuster wad is just a silly milli higher in the powder containment area. When I seat the wad over the powder it appears the wad/powder combo is pushing the primer out. Anyway, tried not seating the wad so hard and now the primers stay put.
Curt
I agree with Oneounceload the wads shouldn't be a problem, primers are manufactured with different diameters even if they say 209 or 109. At a gun show I picked up some trap primers which are too loose to stay in the normal hulls, they may have been developed for European hulls, make sure you are using the right size primers. Also the pocket ring in the hull head sometimes gets blown out a bit and becomes too open. They make a tool which can be used to redress the pocket ring, which pushes it back into place, and this tightens things up for holding the primer cup. - Gun Nut

·
Registered
102 Posts
, primers are manufactured with different diameters even if they say 209 or 109. At a gun show I picked up some trap primers which are too loose to stay in the normal hulls, they may have been developed for European hulls, make sure you are using the right size primers. Also the pocket ring in the hull head sometimes gets blown out a bit and becomes too open. They make a tool which can be used to redress the pocket ring, which pushes it back into place, and this tightens things up for holding the primer cup. - Gun Nut
Lets not confuse a newbie, first off there is no such thing as a "trap primer", a primer does not care what clays game you are shooting. Next, "they may have been developed for European hulls" , European hulls already have a larger then "normal" primer pocket because euro primers are larger in diameter ( Fio's and Rio's )then US primers (Wins and Feds). Basically there are only 2 primer sizes on the market, US and Euro, and they both have the same cup OD within their group.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. By not jamming the wad down (which I thought I was supposed to do) that problem has gone away. I was using Federal hulls (once reloaded) and Federal primers. I don't think the size of either the primer pocket or the primer its self was the issue, just a newbie making mistakes, as we all do. Fortunately no damage was done.
Curt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks guys. By not jamming the wad down (which I thought I was supposed to do) that problem has gone away. I was using Federal hulls (once reloaded) and Federal primers. I don't think the size of either the primer pocket or the primer its self was the issue, just a newbie making mistakes, as we all do. Fortunately no damage was done.
Curt
Don't worry. The problem has not gone away, they just aren't falling out YET. They will fall out stored in the boxes. They will fall out on the range. They will fall out while you carry the gun around loaded and this is the worst. Powder then trickles out inside the works of your gun causing more problem. When you try to put a primer back in because you don't want to start throwing away a bunch of work and material, it it has lost enough powder, you will start getting duds, misfires, and stuff stuck in the barrel that can cause problems on the next shot. Or, you will have to open the gun and make sure the barrel is clear every time one "feels or sounds funny".

Or may be you'll be lucky and get away with it.

Reactions: The Happy Kaboomer

·
Registered
102 Posts
. By not jamming the wad down (which I thought I was supposed to do) that problem has gone away
I suppose technically this is a possibility (very very remote) if you jammed the wad down so far as to totally collapse the legs and force the shot cup into the powder cup and kept pushing something has to give because you have one solid mass (wad) pushing against another solid mass (powder)and it was the primer.

Humor me please. Put a primer in a hull and try and push it out with a pencil.

Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
IN a normal situation NO AMOUNT of wad pressure will push a primer out of a hull. Throw those feds away and use AA's or Remington hulls.
I'd bet $100 those hulls were ruined using the larger metric primers at one time or another.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Uh huh.

I had a brother like that. I think he just ask me questions AFTER he already figured it out just so he could explain to me how wrong I was.

All I can tell people is what I learned from reloading since 1978, what happened when I had that exact problem and I didn't have the internet to jump on and ask. I seemed to figure it out though because I followed the police I recommended here and I've never had that problem again in the last 40 some years.

Guess I'd have to admit though if he is seating that wad so hard it makes the powder squirt that primer out, then may be so...

In any case it seem he has it all figured out now. Awesome. Best of luck to him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lets not confuse a newbie, first off there is no such thing as a "trap primer", a primer does not care what clays game you are shooting. Next, "they may have been developed for European hulls" , European hulls already have a larger then "normal" primer pocket because euro primers are larger in diameter ( Fio's and Rio's )then US primers (Wins and Feds). Basically there are only 2 primer sizes on the market, US and Euro, and they both have the same cup OD within their group.

Steve
Actually Steve I'm just telling these primers are labeled "CCI No. 209 Trap & Skeet Shotshell Primers," you can drop them into the primer hole of a conventional shotshell, invert the hull and they will just fall out, I'm not sure of there vintage, but I know that at one point Bellot, a Czechoslovakia manufacturer was turning out hulls with extremely small primer hole in the hull head. It was a challenge to press the smaller Rem.57* primer cup into them. They may now have increase the size of their hull head primer hole, to the standardize their hulls with the American market place, but I come across the some of those older shotshells at gun shows, from time to time. I have been eventually using these smaller primers up by using them as target ammo for rifle cartridges, which used the Berdan primer system, it involves a bit of work drilling out a primer hole in the heads of the rifle cartridges. That said .303 British cartridges can be blown out to form 2 1/2" solid brass 410 cases. - Gun Nut .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd bet $100 those hulls were ruined using the larger metric primers at one time or another.
I mentioned it in an earlier post, in case your interested, it is called a " Williams PPP (Primer Pocket Peener). (To salvage fired shotgun cases in which the primer pockets have been enlarged) - The Williams PPP will resize or peen the primer pocket back to the original size so the live primers will fit and hold snugly." Williams Gun Sight Company - 'on the Range' - Davison Michigan - Gun Nut

·
Registered
150 Posts
I mentioned it in an earlier post, in case your interested, it is called a " Williams PPP (Primer Pocket Peener). (To salvage fired shotgun cases in which the primer pockets have been enlarged) - The Williams PPP will resize or peen the primer pocket back to the original size so the live primers will fit and hold snugly." Williams Gun Sight Company - 'on the Range' - Davison Michigan - Gun Nut
Ballistic Products has the same tool for $19.95.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts