Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had one once. ..not a bad shotgun, but that pistol grip is a bear. It beat the hell out of my hand. I ended up replacing it with a Knoxx SpecOps stock.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the in put...Anyone else have any experience with this one.....I like to take in consideration of a few different view points.....I do appreciate the in put Slugger

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to me the 500 feels light and cheap,dont like the safty and taking them apart and putting them together is a pain.

alot of people love them,im just not one of them

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 590 I know it's not what you asking about but it's a Mossy. I love it. The heatshield is functional and Mossbergs have the slide release behind the triggerguard which I think makes more sense. I can work the release and safety with my trigger hand without adjusting my grip. A huge plus in my book. I prefer a shotty with a full stock but that's just me.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never shot a shotgun so much the the barrel gets really hot...

With that said, I despise pistol grip only shotguns...damn things will beat the living hell out of your hand. No offense, but I guess I just get the intended use of these things other than impress your friends. I say get one with a full stock...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Mossberg 500a that I have had for 6 years. It came with the 28" vent rib barrel and I used it for hunting. A couple of years ago I bought an 870 Express w/ an 18.5" barrel and extended tube. The mossberg ran circles around the 870. I polished the chamber, deburred everything in the receiver and it would still jam with multiple types of ammo. The 500 has never jammed once. So I sold the 870, traded for an 18.5" barrel for the 500 and upgraded the follower, mag spring and safety and it is now under my bed. I love that 500. Yeah it is loose and a little sloppy, but I like it that way! LOL.

And to the Remington fanboys, yes I know the express model is their bottom of the line and not as good as wingmasters and all that. That's fine. The 500 is not the bottom line and it cost $125 less than the 870 and runs better w/o doing anything to it. Different strokes for different folks, and that's cool. Don't beat me up over my experiences because your brand failed my use.

ETA: I forgot to mention that mine has the wood stock and I love it more than any synthetic stock I have ever used. And I have shot a pg shotgun once and hated it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Mossy 500 , it's a good shotgun. You can't go wrong with it.

Long term though i think you will want to replace that pistol grip with a stock. They do make foldable and adjustable stocks so you can customize it for your needs, just spend a few minutes searching for mossberg ass. and you'll see all your options.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am mainly looking at it for home defense and range time. I am not really a hunter but that my change once I leave this god forsaken state called Florida...lol

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never owned a 500, but I own an 835 and a Rem 870. I agree with Longtalltexan. My Mossberg simply suits me better than my 870.

Agree on picking up a buttstock, too. You can get an uncle mike's folder for 65 bucks, or a hogue buttstock and forend for 50.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the 500 is a fantastic shotgun.

I've had mine for around 18 years and the only issue is a safety rebuild (the tang mounted safety will overtime wear out and need to be rebuilt as it'll engage under recoil but it's a cheap and quick fix.)

as for the stock, I'd recommend not using a pistol grip as it puts the safety out of reach for quick on and off use. Try a Speedfed or just factory Mossberg on it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as range time with it, you may enjoy running 5 or 10 rounds through it every now and then

After 10 rounds or less you will know you`re hanging onto a bear

For home defence it will serve you well

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Mossberg shotguns. Good choice. :D My first shotgun was a Mossberg 590SP. I initially swapped the stock for a pistol grip...even after reading all the posts about how tough it would be re: recoil and accuracy, and I also read a lot from folks who like the pistol grip setup. Personally I learned to like it. I found it fun to shoot, easy to carry around in my truck, and I practiced shooting with the pistol grip till I was accurate enough to hit what I wanted. Recoil became less of an issue for me as I learned how to do it correctly. After awhile, I realized I really liked my 590SP in its original form, I switched the 590 back to a shorter Hogue stock, and then I purchased a PGO Mossberg 500 Cruiser which I still enjoy shooting to this day. It's my primary HD shotgun.

I don't hunt, so I like the ease of use and portability of the PGO 500 for home defense, but mind you, I have shot a few thousand rounds through it with that grip and I can hit my target. I have also acquired a 6 position tactical stock with pistol grip that I switch out from time to time.

To the OP, since you mentioned you were conscious of cost, I would suggest getting the Mossberg 500 that comes with both a pistol grip and the standard stock in the box. Once you shoot the heck out of it both ways, you'll be able to choose your preference re: stock or pistol grip. Most will certainly discourage the use of the PGO setup. I personally like both....and you won't go wrong with a Mossberg.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the maverick is available in an 8 shot version. Safety is in a better location and they are a few buck cheaper.
I have a 5 shot maverick that has no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts