Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SIACE 20 ga SXS that's worth around $2500.00, in my opinion. Not a collector gun, but a nice shooter. The barrels are fixed chokes, Mod-Full. I am torn between opening them up to what I shoot most, (IC-MOD) for a couple hundred bucks, or having Briley install thin wall chokes which would set me back about $700 when the smoke clears. I do not believe either choice would increase the value of the gun enough to pay for the modification, or devalue it much, either. I am curious what your opinions are on if the versatility of the Brileys is worth the $500 difference on such a gun. I hunt pheasant mostly, some skeet and occasional dove and quail.

·
934 Posts
If it were me, I'd go for the Briley chokes. Not because of a current need, but so that I can change chokes down the road if my interests change.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
If you are 100% SURE that all you will ever need is IC/Mod, then have Mike Orlen do it for a tad over $100. If it is a bird gun my personal favorite combination is IC and IM, or as the English like to say, 1/4 and 3/4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having found myself in the same position once I gave strong consideration to my actual use of the gun and how long I assumed I’d keep it. For me, personally, my option was to have the chokes on a 12 cut to .007 on the right and .014 on the left. Those measurements are approximately I/C and light modified. Given the shells I use, and what I shoot, the idea has worked for me for 30 years. No regrets. I also have never tried to use the gun on waterfowl. I have a semi auto that is far superior for the job.

I want to clarify that I am not opposed to choke tubes at all. I have several guns with them and I appreciate the versatility. But, over the years I find that I change choke tubes with less regularity. The nice part about choke tubes is that the potential to use them is always there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a SIACE 20 ga SXS that's worth around $2500.00, in my opinion. Not a collector gun, but a nice shooter. The barrels are fixed chokes, Mod-Full. I am torn between opening them up to what I shoot most, (IC-MOD) for a couple hundred bucks, or having Briley install thin wall chokes which would set me back about $700 when the smoke clears. I do not believe either choice would increase the value of the gun enough to pay for the modification, or devalue it much, either. I am curious what your opinions are on if the versatility of the Brileys is worth the $500 difference on such a gun. I hunt pheasant mostly, some skeet and occasional dove and quail.
I had Briley's installed on my old Winchester 101. No regrets. They did a fantastic job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO, have them opened by Mike Orlen as has been suggested by oneounceload. Mike will do the job properly and quickly for very little money. Another thing to consider is how often do you think you will need tighter chokes? If only a few times than open the chokes up and remember that shell selection (back when that was possible) can easily give you tighter patterns.

If you are sold on the idea of choke tubes like everyone seems to be nowadays; ask Mike Orlen if he can screw choke it. He may be able to and all depends on wall thickness he encounters on your gun. If you do, it will still be far cheaper than Briley and yet be a professional job. For me the only reason to go to Briley and pay their prices is if the gun in question must have their thin wall tubes. Otherwise, Mike can do the work.

IMO, fixed chokes of around .005 & .020 will get the job done for at least 95% of what most folks will encounter hunting. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
IMO, fixed chokes of around .005 & .020 will get the job done for at least 95% of what most folks will encounter hunting. Good luck.
And I am a tad tighter at .010 and .030, especially with wild birds or using flushing dogs; but with pointers and/or plantation type birds, your .005 and .020 (or even .015) is ideal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts