Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening, folks. i'm a pistol shooter just getting to know my first shotgun, a j.c. higgins model 20, 18 inch barrel, full choke, circa 1952. the bore is bright, the bluing is 80 percent-plus, the stock and fore-end are virtually unmarred, the recoil pad is still pliable. probably has only a few hundred rounds through it and was seldom taken out of the closet. it cleaned up so bright and shiny, i feel like i hit a nice little jackpot.

a bit of internet research shows this is generally regarded as a high-quality, heavily constructed item. but other sources say the barrels of this era will be destroyed by steel shot. seems like there's some conflict there; can anyone enlighten me?

partswise, the only problem i can see is the magazine cap is missing one of its two screws - how easy will it be to find a replacement?

the gun has no sights. what's a good option to add on for a home defense gun? i've seen some ghost ring setups that aren't gonna cut it; they'd cost me as much as the gun is worth.

thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In a true home defense situation, sights don't matter that much (in my uneducated opinion). You would be shooting close range (20 ft max?).

Take the gun to a range and try some shots at close range. You should get a feel for sighting over the barrel.

My gun has a front sight and no rear sight. I had my second shooting session with it yesterday. I was shooting at home-made cardboard targets at 10 yards. I wasn't real precise, but I wasn't far off, either.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
any barrel that isnt chome lined will scratch if steel shot is used.

google numerich arms for you parts needs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a noob too!

I just logged in for the first time today. Great to be here. I love to learn from other people on this site. I have this Shotgun that I was wondering about. IF GUNS COULD ONLY TALK. I will share a few pictures of the Shotgun that my Dad gave me. I have always liked the way it looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 583.56 Don :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
evening, folks. i'm a pistol shooter just getting to know my first shotgun, a j.c. higgins model 20, 18 inch barrel, full choke, circa 1952. the bore is bright, the bluing is 80 percent-plus, the stock and fore-end are virtually unmarred, the recoil pad is still pliable. probably has only a few hundred rounds through it and was seldom taken out of the closet. it cleaned up so bright and shiny, i feel like i hit a nice little jackpot.

a bit of internet research shows this is generally regarded as a high-quality, heavily constructed item. but other sources say the barrels of this era will be destroyed by steel shot. seems like there's some conflict there; can anyone enlighten me?

partswise, the only problem i can see is the magazine cap is missing one of its two screws - how easy will it be to find a replacement?

the gun has no sights. what's a good option to add on for a home defense gun? i've seen some ghost ring setups that aren't gonna cut it; they'd cost me as much as the gun is worth.

thanks.
it's a High Standard, and any place that still supports High Standard shot guns will likely have the part you need.

You wouldn't use steel for HD loads anyway, even in California.

I used to have an old Sargent Sowell catalog from the 1960s---they supplied municipal governments, including the police departments---and I recollect they sold High Standard pump action "riot" guns so I'd expect them to be very rugged and serviceable gus

Are you certain that the barrel hasn't been previously shortened, and it is in fact a full choke? I can't imagine why an 18" barrel would come with a full choke from the factory, and that would explain any marking for a full choke as well as the missing bead front "sight."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts