Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a mossy model 500 with the breacher!
Totally new to shotguns! I have no idea what I am doing lol. should have done my HW before buying it but i looked so dang cool and fits nicely in my pelican... ar and 1911 was getting lonely in there!
here are some questions I got

1. what kind of shell I buy for general target shooting/practicing (I want to put any where from 5-7 pellets on the target)?

2. picked up 2 boxes of win super target 12 gauge 7 steel shot, is it safe to shoot steel?

3. I got the pistol grip version, planning on getting the fold over stock from ATI, but heard lots of bad things about it (tang safety access). What are potential folding over stocks?

4. Am I going to dislocate my shoulder when I fire it? Never fired a shotgun before....

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
congrats, shotguns are fun and great for HD. You should be happy with your 500, I like my 500 HD/field combo (18 & 28 inch barrels). Some thoughts for your questions:
1. only targets I shoot are trap and skeet, plus occasional cardboard to see patterns. I've never understood the guys at range who blast away at targets - yes it ripped another hole :rolleyes: But for you being new, might want to try different shots to see the patterns at different ranges. Simple pieces of cardboard are good enough, but latter some old fruit can be more fun. Maybe start with 7 1/2, some 4, and some 00 buck. Some slugs latter once you are more comfortable and knowledgeable.
2. nope, steel is not safe for what you shoot at. Sorry just could not resist :) Yes steel is fine for your gun, and fine for you behind gun (always remember eye protection, plastic and unburned powder can come back at you). Steel has become more common with moves to decrease lead. Sounds funny but if you think about hunters leaving field strips, other animals eat that, they accumulate lead, that is bad for them, also for any person who might eat that animal latter. So steel was introduced to decrease lead in the field
3. can't help on this one, I am more of a traditional stock and forearm type of guy for trap and skeet
4. should not hurt, correction - will not hurt if done right. My 12 year son moved from 20 gauge to 12 gauge late last year. And he is a skinny little dude. Just last Thursday night I was out as Range Safety Officer and instructor for our Scout Troop at Trap Range with two other Dad's who are also certified instructors. 26 boys, younger/inexperienced boys on 20 gauge guns, ages from my son up to 16 years on 12 gauge guns. No injuries, just lots of fun.

You just need proper stance, pull stock into the meaty part of shoulder (hard to describe in writing, but think of the area between shoulder blade and collar bone). Pull it in tight so it can't slam back against you. Think of pushing somebody versus hitting somebody - hitting hurts more. Two tricks:
1) for first start to get position in that meaty part of shoulder, without gun hold your arms up like the goal posts on a football field. Now bring gun (unloaded, checked clear for first try) to your shooting arm, hold it pointed up with arms like those posts. Now swing gun down toward target. It should fall into that meaty part of shoulder. In fact at range you can use a lower up position to get started, maybe 10-20 degrees up and bring down. Again, hard to explain without showing. If you watch experienced/competitive trap/skeet shooters they will come into position from high and bring gun down to target
2) boxer stance - defensive arm up and out, striking arm bent and back - hold the gun same way, that forward defensive arm on fore, hitting arm on grip

Hope this helps a little - have fun with your new gun, be safe

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought a Mossy 500, as well. Unfortunately, since I left Alabama, the ranges here are a bit more expensive and LIMITED. Looking forward to putting some shells through it, though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's so. There are a few around here, but they're pretty restrictive and EXPENSIVE.
I need to find a friend with 500 acres...
Back in Alabalaama, there was a great range just east of Montgummery with swipe card access and no holds barred. I miss that range!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally new to shotguns! I have no idea what I am doing lol. should have done my HW before buying it but i looked so dang cool and fits nicely in my pelican... ar and 1911 was getting lonely in there!

1. what kind of shell I buy for general target shooting/practicing (I want to put any where from 5-7 pellets on the target)?

2. picked up 2 boxes of win super target 12 gauge 7 steel shot, is it safe to shoot steel?

3. I got the pistol grip version, planning on getting the fold over stock from ATI, but heard lots of bad things about it (tang safety access). What are potential folding over stocks?

4. Am I going to dislocate my shoulder when I fire it? Never fired a shotgun before....
For practice go for the cheap bulk packs of bird shot because well it's cheap. For shooting some shells with some real cow bell then go with 00 buck. That is where you want to try different brands and low recoil vs standard and see how they pattern out of your gun.

Steel shot will be just fine to shoot.

Fold over stocks are more gimmick than practical. If you want a stock go for either a Speedfeed brand or Knoxx stock.

The best way to shoot a shotgun is to square your body to the target and get it in the pocket of your shoulder and not on your collar bone or bicep. Keep it tight against your shoulder and lean forward staying more on the balls of your feet with an "athletic" stance. Practice with the low power stuff to get a handle for it then move up to the fun stuff!

One other big thing. Slugs. The rule is that if you have a smooth bore barrel you go with a rifled slug. If you have a rifled barrel then you need a sabot slug. You have a smooth barrel so go for the foster style/rifled slug.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

congratulations, fine choice. Now, lets spend some more money... :shock:
1. practice, bird shot, Lots and lots of bird shot. You need to get some buck shot if this is for home defense and pattern them buy several types, but the stuff with flight control wads give really good results to most people.
2. Read The Manual, steel is fine. its lighter tho and wont give the penetration of lead. besides, its expensive.
3. I recommend avoiding ATI folders. the pins get loose. the plastic doesn't hold up well in the cold.
4. My son started on a 7mm Rem Mag at 9 years old. It kicks about like a 3" 12 gauge. No, your not going to dislocate your shoulder. That said. Get some handicap loads or reduced recoil until you get used to it. dont start feeding the gun the mega mart 1000 count value packs even tho they are 1/2 the cost. those things are designed for the mega mart to run in any gun, no matter how dirty the gun is without issues.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Vietnam, my infantry company had a number of 12 ga pumps from a model 97 to about anything that you can imagine. #4 buck & 00 buck were thar two most common roumds. Both were quite effective. My biggest gripe with a 12 ga is it's limited range. Most guys cam manage the recoil but without training & practice, follow up shows will ne a problem. Despite comments on a buck shot box, the effective range in my experiemce is about 25 yards. With most defense type shotguns, the pattern is not at all uniform past 25 yards. We had some success as 50 yards but it was always a push.

The bottom line is that a shotgun takes much more practice tan most folks want to practice. My cop friends in a supervisory role say the same thing.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can this be done???

Thanks a bunch guys!!!
I really appreciate all the inputs!
Well i guess bye bye folding stock... although it did make it loooook waaaaay cool!
now my problem is will any good stock fit this case =(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do u guys think

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Winchester AA Low recoil shells might be a nice way to start with a pistol grip. Its number 9 shot I think and the muzzel velocity is only 950 ft/min vs 12-1300 ft/min so the kick is much softer. There are 2 views on self defense rounds. 00 buck shot that makes big holes or smaller shot which spreads wider and needs less accuracy. The smaller shot also is less likely to go through walls if you have loved ones or neighbors who share walls. I think guns and ammo just did an article on the new self defense rounds.

Have fun, I love my 835 and have my eye on a 500 like yours.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Winchester AA Low recoil shells might be a nice way to start with a pistol grip. Its number 9 shot I think and the muzzel velocity is only 950 ft/min vs 12-1300 ft/min so the kick is much softer. There are 2 views on self defense rounds. 00 buck shot that makes big holes or smaller shot which spreads wider and needs less accuracy. The smaller shot also is less likely to go through walls if you have loved ones or neighbors who share walls. I think guns and ammo just did an article on the new self defense rounds.

Have fun, I love my 835 and have my eye on a 500 like yours.
Bird shot is for birds not defense. Always go with at the minimum 000 buck when defending yourself. Test how your gun patterns at different distances to see what is the maximum safe distance for you to shoot buck shot before you switch to slugs. I know with my Mossberg that anything farther than 25 yards is asking for a stray ball of lead and if I need to engage farther than 25 yards and there isn't room for error (walls in the background) then I will switch to slugs.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bird shot is for birds not defense. Always go with at the minimum 000 buck when defending yourself. Test how your gun patterns at different distances to see what is the maximum safe distance for you to shoot buck shot before you switch to slugs. I know with my Mossberg that anything farther than 25 yards is asking for a stray ball of lead and if I need to engage farther than 25 yards and there isn't room for error (walls in the background) then I will switch to slugs.
Wow your houses are big in WI. I'm looking at 25 ft in my house as a max distance. There is never only one ammo to use. With a house full of people wall penetration is certainly something that must be factored in. Especially with a gun that spreads its shot out. The low recoil I was recommending was to ease into your new gun. The article is in the April issue of Guns and Ammo. They give an objective view of four different loads designed for home defense.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you're much better off with a normal stock on the 500.

not being able to quickly get to the safety sucks.

I'd get either a speedfed or just a Mossberg factory synthetic.

if you wanna try something a little different, there's always a bantam stock (made for youth shooters, I think the pull on it is an 1" shorter)

but yeah, for just fun I usually get a 100 pack of whatever's available. it's usually 8 or 7 1/2 shot for dove and trap.

enjoy the gun. they're pretty bullet proof.

only problem I've had from mine in 15 years of abuse was a worn out safety. It's a cheap and quick fix though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow your houses are big in WI. I'm looking at 25 ft in my house as a max distance. There is never only one ammo to use. With a house full of people wall penetration is certainly something that must be factored in. Especially with a gun that spreads its shot out. The low recoil I was recommending was to ease into your new gun. The article is in the April issue of Guns and Ammo. They give an objective view of four different loads designed for home defense.
1 inch per yard is typical for a cylinder choke gun.
25 ft = 8 yards = 8 inch spread.
one load of buck shot is not going to cover every wall in a room with pellets.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is just the max distance that I've found while sighting in and pattern testing. I wish my house was that big though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts