Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat familiar with firearms, but i have a rookie question for ya. First off, i was recently at a certain rather large sporting goods store and was browsing over the shotgun selections. In one particular area amongst the shotguns, they have it labeled as Slug Guns.......Now here's my question. Are some guns designed specifically for slugs and not shot? For Home Defense, i would feel comfortable with a slug than some shot flying out of my barrel towards a BG. Make sense?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To elaborate on what Solhays85 said, slug guns are typically used for hunting. Most likely they will have a heavy and longer barrel than what you would see on a SD shotgun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To elaborate on what Solhays85 said, slug guns are typically used for hunting. Most likely they will have a heavy and longer barrel than what you would see on a SD shotgun.
I see. Thanks guys for elaborating for me, i meant to ask if they were equipped with rifled barrels also, but you covered that Solhays85.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am somewhat familiar with firearms, but i have a rookie question for ya. First off, i was recently at a certain rather large sporting goods store and was browsing over the shotgun selections. In one particular area amongst the shotguns, they have it labeled as Slug Guns.......Now here's my question. Are some guns designed specifically for slugs and not shot? For Home Defense, i would feel comfortable with a slug than some shot flying out of my barrel towards a BG. Make sense?
Coughscheelscough. lol

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go with a 00 buck or #1 buck for home defense instead of slugs if you have close-by neighbors. A 12 gauge slug has substantial penetration capabilities.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would go with a 00 buck or #1 buck for home defense instead of slugs if you have close-by neighbors. A 12 gauge slug has substantial penetration capabilities.
Agreed, especially if you have children in other rooms of the house. I load my 870 with #1 for home defense for this purpose. Not to mention that 00 or #1 at the distance you would likely encounter during a home invasion is going to stop any intruder, unless it happens to be a grizzley

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gee.......howd ya guess. lol i really do like that store, prices are a bit steep but for the huge selection, its good and right down the road from me practically a hop skip and a jump away

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, especially if you have children in other rooms of the house. I load my 870 with #1 for home defense for this purpose. Not to mention that 00 or #1 at the distance you would likely encounter during a home invasion is going to stop any intruder, unless it happens to be a grizzley
Gotcha, i was wondering about that. I have only used birdshot in any shotgun ive handled.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a turkey gun ( Mossberg Grandslam chambered in 3 1/2 mag,18" barrel, 3lb trigger) and lemme tell you if you havent shot anything other than birdshot work up to slugs lol. They got a decent amount of recoil and definetely not for hd. Even birdshot would be good for home defense.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are not necessarily all correct answers. A slug gun can have a rifled barrel but it could also have a smooth bore with rifle sites. REM makes their 870 express slug guns both ways. The smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sites wouldn't be a terrible hd choice...they are short too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts