Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and getting my way around the data. I am looking at a recipes that show I will need either 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz shot. I am using Leadshot .330 and looking to make 2 3/4" rounds with 9 shot. I issue/question is when I weigh the 9 shot it comes in at 1.09 not 1.125 (1 1/8 oz). So what do I do if I am to follow the or any recipe? Thanks in advance.

·
975 Posts
Since what you've got is lighter than 1/1/8 ounce by a little (.035 oz) it will be perfectly safe to shoot.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The composition of the lead used in shotmaking will give you variances like that, since reloading equipment uses a volumetric measurement. Harder shot will weigh less due to the antimony used to harden it being lighter than the lead that it displaces, and soft shot will weigh more. As Flash said, it is a non-issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The composition of the lead used in shotmaking will give you variances like that, since reloading equipment uses a volumetric measurement. Harder shot will weigh less due to the antimony used to harden it being lighter than the lead that it displaces, and soft shot will weigh more. As Flash said, it is a non-issue.
Thank you for the response. I just want to make sure I don't blow my head off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts