Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the shotgun world even though I have been an advid hunter for 40 years. Rifle and Bow only. But this year I seek to get a gobbler.

A month or so back I picked up a as NIB Mossberg 535 in Camo with 100 rounds #8 2 3/4 of Winchester target all for $300.00

It came with a 24" barrel
....................28" barrel

Neither rifled.

And 3 chokes: 1 Mod-1 Full-1 XX Full

The seller said I can shoot slugs out of either barrel with choke removed
or only with the Modified choke. TRUE ???

The sell also said it will hold a better pattern to take turkey (head shots) using the XX Full choke in the shorter barrel. How is this possible ???

And last question: Was it a good deal for $300.00 ???
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
First thing, do not shoot anything with out a choke installed. It will damage the threads. Second, for slugs use Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, or Modified chokes (preferably the Cyl or Imp. Cyl.). Use sabot slugs only in rifled barrels. Any length barrel will work for turkey. The shorter barrels are easier to maneuver in the woods and blinds. Longer barrels are easier to aim. You may want to think about a Red Dot scope. For turkey the XX-Full will work fine but consider buying an after market turkey choke. Also use 3" or 3.5" shells in the 535 with #4, 5 or 6 shot.

Happy Hunting....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Got 3" Remington nitro #5. Get good hits in the turkey target head at 30 yds. With xx choke. I'm ready

1 - 5 of 5 Posts