Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first shotgun. I want a 12 gauge semi-automatic and I've narrowed it down to either the Franchi Affinity, Remington 11-87, or Winchester SX3. I've thrown up all three and i like the franchi the best; it's light and fits nicely on my shoulder. i know you can't really go wrong with a remington or winchester, but they were pretty heavy. I'm a girl and don't know if i can hold it up for that long in the duck blind. however, the franchi is probably going to have a harder kick because it's so light. any suggestions??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you know anyone locally that has has one of these and will let you shoot it? Perhaps you can go to a range that has rentals as another option... Getting your own personal experience with these and perhaps alternatives you haven't considered will be the best way to decide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As for recoil, you can experiment with different loads and find one that is a little softer on the shoulder. No law that says you have to use the heaviest loads and, besides, the lighter loads often pattern, better, anyway. No need for the heavy mags over decoys. I've done just as well or better with the light to medium duck loads. In fact, back in the lead days, my boyfriend and I were amazed to discover that Double A trap loads in 7 1/2 were deadly on ducks over decoys. Heck, I shot just as many ducks over decoys, in my time, with a 20 gauge. Choosing the right load will do a lot to manage recoil.

As a gal, I can tell you that lugging around a heavy gun will, sooner or later, take the fun out of your shooting. Weight isn't that big a deal in a duck blind, true, but you'll likely want to do more than just duck hunt at some point and, if so, you will grow to hate the weight of an 11-87 or similar. You can also add a Past Recoil Shield to your outer wear and they even have one made just for us gals, if that recoil becomes an issue. Go with something that you can carry and handle, comfortably. Don't buy a tank because you are afraid of the recoil. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just thinking the same thing today! I don't want to be carrying around a super heavy gun while squirrel hunting and the recoil is probably something that I'd get used to. There may not even be enough of a difference in recoil between those 3 guns to notice a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are able to find a shooting range, maybe a indoor or outdoor one in your area. Ask to have a test fire session to see which one you like the best. This is one decision that when it comes to lugging around a gun all day. You want to be sure you pick a very nice medium to light weight model. Not just saying that cause you are a lady. Heck me being a 6' 1 guy and weighing over 250 Lbs. I sure don't want to carry a heavy fire arm all day.
I have certain guns I like to carry when and where I hunt.
Its all in what you do and what you can afford I guess....

Happy gunning and choose wisely...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shoot before you buy. If recoil bothers you, try a shooting vest with inside shoulder pockets that can hold a pad.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
All three will do the trick, here is a review of the Affinity, link is:
Franchi Affinity 12 Gauge Autoloader Review
The reviewer liked it and thought it was a good value. It is manufactured by Benelli in Italy. There are quiet a few Benelli fans on this blog including myself.
All that said if possible arrange to test fire you candidates on the range if possible. Most shooters love to show off their guns and will usually give you a couple or more shots. Shooting various auto's gave me an idea of where I wanted to go with a new gun. I loved the Beretta A-400 for its lightweight balance, the ability to swing the gun rapidly and hit the clay, and most of all its light recoil. Did I mention I only weigh 120? The A-400 is kinda pricey at 1500 market value. What I ended up with was the Benelli Ethos, Its similar to the Fiachi with its inertia operating system with a few more refinements like a recoil reduction system but costs twice as much. You get what you pay for with S/G's.
One last thought, have you thought about using a 20 ga?
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first shotgun. I want a 12 gauge semi-automatic and I've narrowed it down to either the Franchi Affinity, Remington 11-87, or Winchester SX3. I've thrown up all three and i like the franchi the best; it's light and fits nicely on my shoulder. i know you can't really go wrong with a remington or winchester, but they were pretty heavy. I'm a girl and don't know if i can hold it up for that long in the duck blind. however, the franchi is probably going to have a harder kick because it's so light. any suggestions??
Not knowing your budget, also take a look at the Beretta A400 Xplor Unico - a 7# 12 gauge that handles well, weighs 7# even, and with the Kick Off system, will tame heavt loads

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
sx3's have no kick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts