Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from PA. I recently inherited a Marlin model 28 12 gauge shotgun. I know they are unsafe to shoot modern ammo. But if I used a 12 ga to 410 ga adaptor, would the pressures be within safe limits? Being that 410 is a lot milder.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Welcome from Florida. Actually, 410s run at higher pressures. RST makes a Vintager line of shotshells for older guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Florida. Actually, 410s run at higher pressures. RST makes a Vintager line of shotshells for older guns.
Oh ok. Didn't know that. Thank you for the facts. I just assumed because it feels milder. I'm glad I didn't try it!

·
Registered
500 Posts
The hammerless Marlin Model 28 was made in both 2 5/8 and 2 3/4 chamber lengths, similar to the Model 12 Winchester and other early pumps. Verify your chamber length, and if your shotgun is in good shape, and it is a later 2 3/4 inch model, it should be safe enough for any standard velocity 12 gauge loading. Of course you don't want to shoot a 2 3/4 inch magnum in any of the vintage guns, but that is just common sense. I once purchased a Marlin M30 20 gauge hammer pump, the most delightful shotgun ever. I could not shoot it, it shot somewhere other than where I looked and a man can only stand so much of that so I sold it. But I miss that gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts