Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first post, my name is Alan. I am looking for a nice side by side, I own several nice OU shotguns, semi-auto, etc. I have always wanted to purchase a Merkel, I have held the 47e model and it fits me well, and I'm looking to purchase one. The one that I handled is a 12 gauge with 28" barrel, IC and MOD, single trigger and has a pistol grip. The barrel says it was made in Alabama, is this normal for Merkel to be made in Alabama? I prefer an English, both of my OU have them. What should I expect to pay for this shotgun, the shop is asking $3450 and it seems he's been sitting on it awhile. Also any recommendations where I can get the same shotgun with English stock for good price? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Welcome on your first post!
1OZ beat me to this one. MerkelUSA (and formerly GSI) were/are the importers, no Merkel was ever made in AL. My GSI-imported 147E has 'GSI T'ville' (short for Trussville) on the left barrel, and stamped below that is 'Gebr Merkel Suhl' and below that, 'Made in Germany'.
MerkelUSA is in Bessemer, AL and while I don't own one of theirs to check, I assume the markings are similar.
With that said, I believe the one you referenced may well be overpriced. Jaqua's in Findlay OH has a used 147E, the next higher grade, 12ga straight stock with DT in excellent shape for $2950. Their pricing is usually spot-on, I've done a lot of business with them, including buying two of my three Merkels from them. They get them in from time to time, watch at Jaqua's Fine Guns
You will have a hard time finding a better sxs than a Merkel at anywhere near their price - although new ones are waaaay up there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry stamped on the barrel it does say Made In Germany, above that is stamped Merkel USA Inc Trussville, AL. The gun is brand new never fired, would $3400 be a good price? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Look at the link I posted above to see what dealers are selling Merkels for. It sounds more like MSRP to me, but RKB has a better handle on pricing than I do.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
It's hard to say whether or not that is a good price without seeing it. Some of the 47E's (the E merely means 'ejectors') sold here are European models with cheekpieces and sling swivels, those features don't go over well with American shooters and reduce the price considerably. I can't tell you the MSRP of a new 47E since they have replaced it with the 'entry-level' 40E, but $3450 may have been in the ballpark for an older one - but the fact that it has sat there for a while speaks volumes to me.
Is it listed anywhere on the Internet, possibly with pictures? Where are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks RKB the shotgun looks like straight from factory, has pistol grip and single trigger, I'm located in NC fits me well, I need to selloff my basically brand new Beretta a400 xplor light to fund this deal

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Well, the definition of a 'good deal' is one where the buyer and seller are both happy - and it's hard to go wrong with a Merkel! However, as you said earlier, you would prefer a SG, and there are lots of those out there also.
I have one SG (my 16ga 147E), one PG (my 20ga 50E) and one PG O/U, my 16ga 200E - all three are double trigger by personal preference. PG DT Merkel sxs guns are not common in the US though, if that is your preference.
Best of luck on your hunt and let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found a used Merkel 147, no ejector, I was hoping someone could help me with the vintage on this gun. It's a single trigger, pistol grip, used, GSI Inc, Tville, 18.6 on both barrels, 12/76, 1/2, 493, A over Eagle, VZ, not sure what all the indications mean, I'm looking at about $2000, any comments please, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking of picking up a copy of blue book values of guns, that should help me figure out the right price to pay on a used Merkel?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a copy of blue book values of guns, that should help me figure out the right price to pay on a used Merkel?
Best way is to look at auctions that have ended, like on gunbroker, armslist, etc. The blue book is out of date the moment it prints but is a handy resource for model and maker information. Just my $.02

To know the future is to be trapped by it

Reactions: RKB

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The 'Blue Book' is a waste of money as far as determining value on most any decent shotgun. Save your money and watch the sales sites per previous comments here. They will get you in the ballpark, especially since most have pics.
It may sound like we are giving you the run-around, but we really are trying to help. You can't put a 'book value' on a better gun, it is all determined by two main things - graded condition, and my idea of '90% condition' may be vastly different from someone else's opinion of '90%'. The other is what someone is willing to pay for the gun in it's current condition, and to me that is the more important factor.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You also buy a shotgun for its barrels and nothing else. If the barrels are not what you need or not in safe condition for shooting the gun is a paperweight. Blue book doesn't even get into the details of shotgun barrels, choke and conditions.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
And certain guns, like Perazzi and older FN Brownings (as examples) are known for their quality barrel work, balance and fantastic fixed chokes. Personally, for a fixed choke upland bird gun, i would be looking for one of two choke combinations -
SK/LM for close over dog work like Southern plantation quail or planted pheasant or IC/IM for Western wild birds. but that's just ME. Others may want the standard IC/M prevalent here in the US or the traditional M/F

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
And certain guns, like Perazzi and older FN Brownings (as examples) are known for their quality barrel work, balance and fantastic fixed chokes. Personally, for a fixed choke upland bird gun, i would be looking for one of two choke combinations -
SK/LM for close over dog work like Southern plantation quail or planted pheasant or IC/IM for Western wild birds. but that's just ME. Others may want the standard IC/M prevalent here in the US or the traditional M/F
In agreement!

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
and dont forget old winchesters too......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found a used Merkel 147, no ejector, I was hoping someone could help me with the vintage on this gun. It's a single trigger, pistol grip, used, GSI Inc, Tville, 18.6 on both barrels, 12/76, 1/2, 493, A over Eagle, VZ, not sure what all the indications mean, I'm looking at about $2000, any comments please, thanks!
I know this is an old post....but for that gun $2000 was a fair price.....if like new a v-good price.....the 12/76 means 12guage 3in chamber.....the 1/2 and VZ are the chokes....vz is imp cyl....1/2 is mod....18.6 is the bore.....493 is the made on date code.....April of 1993.....Hope you bought it.......I have the same gun but with a straight grip made 593......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts