Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to say hello. I found this site from an ad on TaurusArmed, and thought I might meander over.

I have three shotguns, but neither is an exotic brand. The first one I used to use all the time when I hunted, mostly deer.

#1 J.C. Higgins Model 20, Sears, Roebuck and Co 583.2005. Proof Tested 12 gauge pump, 28" barrel, full choke, 2 3/4" chamber. It's a very simple gun, few moving parts, but still effective.

#2) Single shot Iver-Johnson 12 ga, w/ 30" barrel, full choke, 2 3/4 chamber.

#3) Savage .410 3" chamber, 3 shot bolt action.

The 12 ga. isn't really a home defense style shotgun (short barrel, improved or open cylinder), that's about all I'd use it for now.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
atlee tells me you know of green top!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do indeed know about Green Top. Stopped by tonight looking for handgun ammo. They only has some .327 Federal Magnum, and some .45 ACP. Lots of scattergun ammo though.

How do you know of Green Top? Used to live around here?

You know Green Top moved into the big box formerly occupied by Gander Mountain? Between Green Top and Bass Pro Shop which opened after Gander Mountain, GM could survive around here.

GT began in 1947 as a gun store, and it's biggest profit center now is guns, I'm sure. They are #1 in the central Virginia area, and #2 statewide in gun sales.

All of this out of one store, plus the internet.

atlee tells me you know of green top!

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
i lived in richmond when stationed in ft lee.
i use to shoot issac walton when it was out on 360.
i knew gt when it was the gas station. i knew it when they added on the apparel section to the back wall. i knew it when they added on the new fishing section. i was on first name basis with the brothers as most customers were.
donny and his brother offered me a job when i got out of the military but i moved to suffolk and then on to mo.. they were going to open a store in winchester. they wanted me to run it.
gt changed when they became a subsidary to thalheimers. they had to play by someone elses rules. in doing so, they became extremely sucessful.
but slowly they got so big, that you sorta just became a face in line fighting to get close enough to the counter. and the real good deals on old used guns on the floor went away.
i visit occasionally, and thats when i saw gray hair on the owners as they worked frantically to please every customer. the business had them where it wanted them. it appeared to me they were going to work because they had to, not because they liked to. such is big business.
though i wish them all the success in the world, i miss the one on one it use to be.
now that its a box store....the coziness of going to a little local gun shop chatting it up with the owner has been lost.
except for one or maybe two gray haired clerks on the floor, no one knows me at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's interesting. Both the history, and the thoughts on the business now.

I too find it much like a chained big box store. Not as bad as the Bass Pro Shop just up the street, but not a place I could just go to and chat with a knowledgeable gun person. I'm sure they have some knowledgeable folks left, but they are so busy, they just don't have time to talk.

i lived in richmond when stationed in ft lee.
i use to shoot issac walton when it was out on 360.
i knew gt when it was the gas station. i knew it when they added on the apparel section to the back wall. i knew it when they added on the new fishing section. i was on first name basis with the brothers as most customers were.
donny and his brother offered me a job when i got out of the military but i moved to suffolk and then on to mo.. they were going to open a store in winchester. they wanted me to run it.
gt changed when they became a subsidary to thalheimers. they had to play by someone elses rules. in doing so, they became extremely sucessful.
but slowly they got so big, that you sorta just became a face in line fighting to get close enough to the counter. and the real good deals on old used guns on the floor went away.
i visit occasionally, and thats when i saw gray hair on the owners as they worked frantically to please every customer. the business had them where it wanted them. it appeared to me they were going to work because they had to, not because they liked to. such is big business.
though i wish them all the success in the world, i miss the one on one it use to be.
now that its a box store....the coziness of going to a little local gun shop chatting it up with the owner has been lost.
except for one or maybe two gray haired clerks on the floor, no one knows me at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
we ought to go shoot some skeet at ft lee. let me know a day and i can meet you there. its only 4.00 bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt I could hit one of those "sheets" if it were a foot in front of me.:D It's that easy to get from Missouri to Petersburg? I wouldn't trying skeet shooting. I don't have a shotgun conducive to shooting skeet. 28" barrel w/ full choke.

we ought to go shoot some skeet at ft lee. let me know a day and i can meet you there. its only 4.00 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
itll do for trap.
btw...i have a summer home in va..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :cool:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts