Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big 5 Sporting Goods by me have a 8 shot 12 Ga. Maverick 88 on sale for $199.00 for 3 days only, ending tomorrow. Do any of you guys have this model? It has an 18" Cylinder Bore with a magazine tube that runs the full length of the barrel. I'm thinking of picking one up. Can't have too many 12 bores. This is it:

Mossberg Maverick 88 12-Gauge 8-Shot Pump Shotgun

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because the hawk is heavier made and better quality than the maverick, mossberg 500, or the remington 870. That's why
That is nonsense. Quality isn't determined by weight. The Hawk is a cheaply made clone of the Remington 870. You're far better off buying a Remington 870 Express for a little over $100.00 more, than you are messing around with that crudely made thing.

· Premium Member
7,592 Posts
unless remington has russia making them now. ;>

· Registered
7 Posts
Because the hawk is heavier made and better quality than the maverick, mossberg 500, or the remington 870. That's why

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That, sir, is your opinion, and I suspect one not shared by too many. If the hawk floats your boat, well, go ahead and get yourself one. Almost all my experience with a shotgun has been with 12 ga pumps, primarily Mossy and the 870 model. I just bought a new Maverick 88 at Academy for $199.00 with its sole purpose to be a home defense shotgun. It is the budget 500 basically. I cleaned and lubed it, and then took it to the range where I shot 25 each 71/2 shot, followed by patterning the gun at 10 and 15 yards with Remington low recoil 00 buckshot. Satisfied with everything, I gave it a good inspection/cleaning/lube, loaded it up with 7+1 of the 00 buck, out it on safe, and it's now "on-duty". Want to take a guess as to what Mods I'm going to put on it? None. All it needs is to be clean, lightly oiled, loaded appropriately, and the right person behind the trigger. I got all that checked off. I think the Maverick 88 is fine for what it is supposed to be used for. More than fine actually. Good luck with that Hawk...hope you never have to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Not opinion it's a fact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Seen several through the shops now that are loose and clunky. The steel is too soft or the tolerances wrong, something.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

· Registered
7 Posts
Not opinion it's a fact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Opinion: what you think of something.
Fact: Proven. Backed up by objective data

Your assertion concerning this ... shotgun is your opinion. I am glad you are enamored with this particular gun. And even more so now, hoping you don't have to rely on it. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts