Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am left handed but my dominate eye is right which is a huge issue if some do not know!I t I have a stoager over under and can't hit the broad side of a barn. I have tried closing dominate eye, but does not improve, Is there any tricks to training my eyes. This is not new to me. I trained myself too be a excellent pool player back in the day. I have been out too shoot several times and just can't seem too find the adjustment for hand eye..

Hell, maybe I just totally suck, but I don't think so!

Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm right handed and have a dominant left eye. I close the dominant eye just before I pull the trigger and have had good success even had 3 straights last year with 2 different guns. I believe gun fitment might be the biggest problem to be honest. Have heard if you wear an eye patch for a week or so you might change dominance. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Train to shoot right handed. It's not that hard and will quit feeling awkward after a few rounds.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

·
Registered
112 Posts
You posted this in a sporting clays forum so I will assume those are the targets you can't hit.
I would go to a skeet field and use low 7 to figure out what you are doing.
You can close 1 eye or use a "dot" to block the vision. Once you can hit low 7 back up to low 6 were you will need a small lead and work on that. I know it sounds boring but you have to learn the basics before you jump into the complex targets you can get at sporties.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
My dominant eye changes from time to time, and my Ophthalmologist has mentioned it to me during eye exams.

What used to be annoying was when it changed while I was shooting Trap or SC.

I got around the problem by going to Monovision in my glasses and that worked very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I have only been out to shoot about 5 times so I am new to the sport, and probably just need tons of practice learning what's best for me. I just know why I can't hit anything. It happens so fast, but sometimes both eyes will work together and I will hit them perfectly. The next 20 pulls I don't see correctly and get frustrated! It's a eye training thing suppose. I'm weird. I bat right, and golf right. Throw left, play pool left. My body does everything against my dominate eye.

I will try right handed for a few times out, and see how that goes. I will also try the close up training that was suggested. Everyone's help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of the top shooters in our club is RH handed left eye dominate. He has a 1/2 round opac sticker on his shooting glasses. It looks like its on his upper almost deadcenter LH lens. I also am going through some eye difficulties I am fortunate that I am RH handed RH eye dominate but I can see out of my LHeye much better. Rh eye has been blurry for a good year now finally made an appointment for Thursday this week. 3 weeks ago I started shooting low gun and it has been much better. Now that I have relocated my hold points and my eye holds I shot 75 straight today in skeet. I think I freak people out shooting low gun but it works for me right now. Also I did black out my sights today because I cought myself measuring targets yesterday. You need to try 1 thing at at time for a couple rounds till you figure it out? I see so many shooters just sit there at that station and keep missing doing the same thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are a lot of tricks. Special shooting glasses, stickers for dominant eye side of glasses, smearing substances on dominant eye side...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shoot right handed and left eye dominate. When I was training dog's I always shot with both eye's open and simply looked over the barrel's, SxS's. In those days I was deadly! Been out of shooting a lot past several years and have trouble keeping both eye's open, also not hitting near as well as I used to. I think the problem is in our mind and if we close an eye we end up trying to aim the gun rather than point it. Shooting both eyes open I can't tell what either eye see's, just keep your head steady on the stock and look over the barrels. People never have a clue which of their eyes is dominate until they look through one at time with the other closed. Don't aim. Look over the barrels and point. Keep your head in the same position on the stock! Oh, and don't glance out the side of your's eye's, guaranteed miss.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bringing this to the top with questions. Been shooting for little of a year. I'm also right-handed, left eye dominate. My scores are terrible. I was going to try shooting left handed. Any tips for this? I tried the close dominate eye thing with no success.

·
Super Moderator
1,025 Posts
Bringing this to the top with questions. Been shooting for little of a year. I'm also right-handed, left eye dominate. My scores are terrible. I was going to try shooting left handed. Any tips for this? I tried the close dominate eye thing with no success.
Put a little vaseline or a 1/2" stick on dot on the left lens of your shooting glasses. That should fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You really only have two options:
1) Put a piece of frosted tape on the right side lens of your shooting glasses to force the left eye to become dominant while shooting.
2) Learn to shoot right handed.
Best of luck...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts