Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Mossberg 590A1 8+1 with ghost ring sights and speed feed stock. Went with the intention of picking something up a little more economical but what can I say this puppy is mean looking, and I got a decent tax return. Field stripping was fairly easy considering I really have no experience with shotguns other then pulling the trigger on some friends here and there. Went to the range today just to test her out. Put some birdshot and buckshot through it with zero problems. This gun is a freaking TANK. Total overkill for me but hey sometimes you got to go nuts haha. My only complaint is the length of pull seems long might try swapping it out for something shorter or adjustable. Anyone have any stock suggestions? Do they make shorter butt pads for this stock the one on it is about an inch thick. Also looking for a good idea for HD ammo. I live in an apartment building so buckshot and slugs would probably be out of the question (alhough I'll have some on hand for a shtf scenario) So what do you all suggest as far as ammo goes. I bought some Winchester military buckshot and those new pdx slug and buck shot combo just to try it out. I also need to pick up a bayonet just to add to the mean factor. I bet a burglar would sh*t himself of he saw you coming with that haha

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I came in here wondering why no one replied...and got my answer.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Another gun is always good.

As far as the rest, I will try to say this without being mean...

There will be no SHTF. Do not get a bayonet. Just seeing a shotgun (in any configuration) will NOT make a determined bad guy leave. If you are worried about damaging the drywall as opposed to your own life, you arent thinking clearly.

I would not recommend slugs for HD (personal preference). However, if you are competent with the weapon then slugs will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So any picks? This sounds like a mean gun and I am looking for a new HD shotgun.

I'd say mo to the bayonet also. They make this pretty bad looking little thing that you stick right on the end of your barrel. It looks like a little crown and has five or six short sharp points to you can jab them in the bad guys face when he gets that close.

I heard or read somewhere that one of the most recognizable sounds in the world is a shotgun racking. It is an unmistakable sound that cannot be effectively faked and is sure to make anyone's butt hole pucker and think twice about doing anything. Hopefully the sound will do that.

But if not, 00 or 000 buckshot are sure to put a damper on their day.

Randy

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Playfront I think he's concerned about his life...as well as the neighbors next door / above / and below him in his apartment building he said he lives in, not the cosmetics of holes in the drywall. 00 can penetrate walls and floors pretty good...just as much as bullets from any handgun so I think he has a responsible concern. Maybe #4 buck? I'm no expert but I think birdshot is out of the question because it won't penetrate enough. Any ballistics experts out there have an idea of a good middle ground?

Also, I have heard that shotgun racking sound theory, but heard it's a myth and don't believe it...other side of it is the BG just now knows where you are, and that you are armed so if their weapon wasn't already out - it is now, and you better know what you are doing with that shotgun and be ready to use it effectively. Not every BG will scamper out of your house with tail between the legs because of a sound - think desperate addict high on whatever, or hardened criminal that is ready to do whatever and figures you don't know what your doing.

A training class would probably be a good idea...I don't have a shotgun (yet) but wouldn't try to pull the macho - who doesn't know how to use one frame of mind. Probably a lot of tips and techniques for effective use indoors and in SD/HD mode. Shooting down clay birds with no stress isn't the same things.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Playfront I think he's concerned about his life...as well as the neighbors next door / above / and below him in his apartment building he said he lives in, not the cosmetics of holes in the drywall. 00 can penetrate walls and floors pretty good...just as much as bullets from any handgun so I think he has a responsible concern. Maybe #4 buck? I'm no expert but I think birdshot is out of the question because it won't penetrate enough. Any ballistics experts out there have an idea of a good middle ground?

Also, I have heard that shotgun racking sound theory, but heard it's a myth and don't believe it...other side of it is the BG just now knows where you are, and that you are armed so if their weapon wasn't already out - it is now, and you better know what you are doing with that shotgun and be ready to use it effectively. Not every BG will scamper out of your house with tail between the legs because of a sound - think desperate addict high on whatever, or hardened criminal that is ready to do whatever and figures you don't know what your doing.

A training class would probably be a good idea...I don't have a shotgun (yet) but wouldn't try to pull the macho - who doesn't know how to use one frame of mind. Probably a lot of tips and techniques for effective use indoors and in SD/HD mode. Shooting down clay birds with no stress isn't the same things.
I realize that the OP may have concern for fellow apartment dwellers and he should. Any stray shots that injure (or kill) them are definitely his responsibility. However, like you stated, birdshot is NOT an option for home defense. Unless the birds in your neighborhood have guns...

The shotgun racking theory may work on some, but I would NOT rely on it to scare away every single intruder. Defending your home may involve shooting someone and you have to deal with that if it happens. OP, do some research, many people have had break-ins and have recited their story online for people to learn from. Use the information available.

Depending on location, it may be difficult to find a course for shotgun. However, the internet is a resource and contains a lot of helpful information. If there are courses offered in your area, you will ALWAYS learn something useful from an instructor.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came in here wondering why no one replied...and got my answer.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Another gun is always good.

As far as the rest, I will try to say this without being mean...

There will be no SHTF. Do not get a bayonet. Just seeing a shotgun (in any configuration) will NOT make a determined bad guy leave. If you are worried about damaging the drywall as opposed to your own life, you arent thinking clearly.

I would not recommend slugs for HD (personal preference). However, if you are competent with the weapon then slugs will be more than adequate.
I'll try to type this without sounding like an a**hole right back at you.

First the bayonet thing was a joke. I'm fully aware a burglar won't drop everything and run at the sight of a gun much less one with a bayonet mounted to it. I just thought it would look cool for show and figured you can't go wrong with another knife. Maybe I should have waited until the initial excitement of a new firearm wore off before I posted. Maybe it wouldve been more clear then (although I find it hard that anyone would miss the legitimate questions that were in that first post)

As far as there being no shtf tell that to people who lived through post Katrina New Orleans might disagree with you there. I happen to live in one of the most densely populated areas of the country (that has already been a terrorist target) so I find nothing wrong with being prepared for civil unrest, natural disaster or general shtf scenarios.

If you read the post carefully I explained I lived in an apartment building (thus my concern for slugs or 00 buck). I'm not so concerned with drywall as I am with a neighbors life. Call me an idiot but I don't feel the need to put my neighbors lives in jeopardy. I'm finding it hard to believe that you couldn't tell that from my first post and make a legitimate suggestion as to what to use.

Also I asked a question about different stocks that nobody on a firearms forum could seem to answer. I guess that's my fault for coming here looking for advice.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here you go dude:

Extreme Shock Frangible Shotgun Ammunition

Frangible ammo shouldn't have nearly as much penetration on Drywall, but still have knock down power. You're really limited as far as ammo for home defense since your in an apartment. It would also be a good idea to see what kind of separation your walls use, I know some newer ones use fire proof masonry to help sound proof and keep apartment fires from spreading.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go dude:

Extreme Shock Frangible Shotgun Ammunition

Frangible ammo shouldn't have nearly as much penetration on Drywall, but still have knock down power. You're really limited as far as ammo for home defense since your in an apartment. It would also be a good idea to see what kind of separation your walls use, I know some newer ones use fire proof masonry to help sound proof and keep apartment fires from spreading.
Thanks. That's really the type of info I was looking for. It's an old pre-war building so it's pretty solidly built. I'll have to ask the superintendent next time I see him.

I like your choice of firearms by the way haha.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. That's really the type of info I was looking for. It's an old pre-war building so it's pretty solidly built. I'll have to ask the superintendent next time I see him.

I like your choice of firearms by the way haha.
590 is going to be my next baby ;)

Just tactfully ask him, don't even mention firearm at all. Simply ask what teh walls have between them if its wooden trusses or bricks for sound proofing because you want to make sure a new sound system won't be to loud. My buddy learned the hard way that his landlord was anti-gun and got kicked out.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as there being no shtf tell that to people who lived through post Katrina New Orleans might disagree with you there. I happen to live in one of the most densely populated areas of the country (that has already been a terrorist target) so I find nothing wrong with being prepared for civil unrest, natural disaster or general shtf scenarios.

If you read the post carefully I explained I lived in an apartment building (thus my concern for slugs or 00 buck). I'm not so concerned with drywall as I am with a neighbors life. Call me an idiot but I don't feel the need to put my neighbors lives in jeopardy. I'm finding it hard to believe that you couldn't tell that from my first post and make a legitimate suggestion as to what to use.
The people who lived (and died) as a result of Katrina did not need to hunker down in an apartment with a shotgun. They did not need to wander the streets with one either. Being prepared is one thing. Saying you need the shotgun for anything other than home defense is just foolish. If something bad does happen you will need more than a shotgun to survive. How are your other SHTF preparations coming along? Food? Water? Medical supplies? Radio?

You seem to have missed my second post in this thread. I dont know what you plan to do with a shotgun in an apartment situation if you wont be using buckshot or slugs. Bird shot is for birds. In case you forgot, Cheney shot a guy in the FACE with birdshot and the guy lived. Use ammunition that will kill an intruder. You do not shoot to wound.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The people who lived (and died) as a result of Katrina did not need to hunker down in an apartment with a shotgun. They did not need to wander the streets with one either. Being prepared is one thing. Saying you need the shotgun for anything other than home defense is just foolish. If something bad does happen you will need more than a shotgun to survive. How are your other SHTF preparations coming along? Food? Water? Medical supplies? Radio?

You seem to have missed my second post in this thread. I dont know what you plan to do with a shotgun in an apartment situation if you wont be using buckshot or slugs. Bird shot is for birds. In case you forgot, Cheney shot a guy in the FACE with birdshot and the guy lived. Use ammunition that will kill an intruder. You do not shoot to wound.
I can tell by your condescending attitude you assume I know nothing but obviously you're just one of those people who feel the need to put other people down on a forum so you can feel better about your life (or lack thereof of one). Actually I have a pretty good supply of SHTF supplies including food, water, filtration, basic medical supplies, a radio, and a network of people who are similarly prepared. I never said I just had a shotgun so maybe you can ask some questions before you assume things.

I was looking for suggestions, it could have been a good opportunity to help someone out instead of just being a d*ck, maybe that's impossible for a person like yourself. A person asks a legitimate question and gets rude replies. I'm sure if my avatar was some blonde chick and my name was Danielle you'd be showering me with good advice. Thanks for not helping with anything.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Come on bro, he lives in Jersey. Guido's without alcohol are like rabid raccoons on crack. He needs to protect himself someway. If SHTF big time it will affect everywhere, not just a natural disaster in one area. Hell, I live in IL and I'm stocking up and MRE's and water for the family, most supplies we already have already. If a major financial crisis happens people will be robbing just for food, I'd rather be prepared.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
590 is going to be my next baby ;)

Just tactfully ask him, don't even mention firearm at all. Simply ask what teh walls have between them if its wooden trusses or bricks for sound proofing because you want to make sure a new sound system won't be to loud. My buddy learned the hard way that his landlord was anti-gun and got kicked out.
It's definitely a sweet shotty. It's a little heavier then most but it feels like it's really built to last. The weight actually helps with recoil a little compared to my friends shottys (an 870 and some sort of berretta).

Yeah I try to tell as few people as possible about my firearms. Wow can't belive your boy got kicked out over gun ownership. Pretty weak. I'll use your idea about the stereo. Prob just tell him I'm planning on installing surround sound.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's definitely a sweet shotty. It's a little heavier then most but it feels like it's really built to last. The weight actually helps with recoil a little compared to my friends shottys (an 870 and some sort of berretta).

Yeah I try to tell as few people as possible about my firearms. Wow can't belive your boy got kicked out over gun ownership. Pretty weak. I'll use your idea about the stereo. Prob just tell him I'm planning on installing surround sound.

Thanks for the advice
The 590 was built to last because it was designed for the military. It sure does help with slugs, but as far as bird shot... What recoil? :p

I'd probably install another Knoxx stock anyways on the 590, I freaking love mine on the 500.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered a knoxx specops nrs version based on some advice from some friends. Do you think I should have sprung for the recoil reducing stock? I could always return and exchange? Recoil doesn't bother me much but then again the biggest I've shot was 2 3/4 00 buck.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered a knoxx specops nrs version based on some advice from some friends. Do you think I should have sprung for the recoil reducing stock? I could always return and exchange? Recoil doesn't bother me much but then again the biggest I've shot was 2 3/4 00 buck.
It helps A LOT. I can throw out 3" Magnum 000 Buck and slugs down range like no other. Shoulder barely feels it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yeah, this guy was there for Katrina, he knows about everything that went down :roll:

PF you don't have to be such a c.u.m. guzzler. The guy is asking about HD ammo and shotgun stocks. If you feel the need to go spread your infinite wisdom about SHTF situations (that according to you are impossible anyway, the Gov't will just take care of us!), go to the appropriate forum.

Anyways. That knoxx stock seems ok for some, but others say it smacks them in the face because of the little hump right in front of the cheek weld.

You may also consider the pros and cons of a collapsible stock like that. If you're the type to set it how you want and not change it, that's fine. If this is your home defense weapon, bear in mind that if you store it completely collapsed, and you hear a bump in the night, you do not want to be thinking about which notch you need to pull the stock out to in order to get your regular LOP.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, this guy was there for Katrina, he knows about everything that went down :roll:

PF you don't have to be such a c.u.m. guzzler. The guy is asking about HD ammo and shotgun stocks. If you feel the need to go spread your infinite wisdom about SHTF situations (that according to you are impossible anyway, the Gov't will just take care of us!), go to the appropriate forum.

Anyways. That knoxx stock seems ok for some, but others say it smacks them in the face because of the little hump right in front of the cheek weld.

You may also consider the pros and cons of a collapsible stock like that. If you're the type to set it how you want and not change it, that's fine. If this is your home defense weapon, bear in mind that if you store it completely collapsed, and you hear a bump in the night, you do not want to be thinking about which notch you need to pull the stock out to in order to get your regular LOP.
The power pro cheek pack helps a lot with comfort. I put one on my Knoxx stock and it makes a huge difference. It's nice if you have a high red dot sight on your gun, but if you have a bead it may be difficult. Ghost rings *should* be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts