Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Remington Barrel Remington 870 12 Gauge 3" 18-1/2" Modified Choke with Tritium Rifle Sights Parkerized from Midway. Jazzed to get it with the limited 18 1/2 barrels available at the moment.

Slide it on and pump foreend forward, squeeze trigger and nothing. I notice the slide release on trigger guard is not down, it appears to be pressed in even though the foreend is all the way forward. I took the barrel off and put the 26" barrel back on, leaving the bolt in the gun and it works fine.

I compared the two ends and I can only see one thing different in the barrel that slides into the main gun. Of course seeing anything different is probably bad and root of my issue. I have included a picture of each barrel to help.

If you look at the 26" you will see the slot with a beveled cut going toward the end of the barrel. The 18.5" doesn't have this beveled cut.

Everywhere I read all of the 870 barrels are supposed to be interchangeable. Anyone hear of this before? Did I happen to get a lemon?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get thee to a Gunsmith!
I hear what you are saying but I think I will just send it back to Midway for either a refund or an exchange. I don't want to pay more to get it corrected as the barrel wasn't cheap to begin with. :mad:

I was hoping to get some expertise feedback that the notch on the 18.5" was just not correct. That would help with my decision with Midway.

I don't have anyone near me that I know that has a 870 to try it out on. This would also help a bit more in the mystery. Is it my gun or this 18.5" barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GrampaDennis was right, should have taken it to a gunsmith because they would have seen the problem probably immediately; and slap me silly at the same time. Turned out to be the tube in the foreend wasn't tightened down enough with the nut that holds it in foreend. Once I tapped the one end of the tube I could immediately see that it hadn't tightened up enough, and was hitting on the ring on the barrel that surrounds that tube.

Mystery solved. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
GrampaDennis was right, should have taken it to a gunsmith because they would have seen the problem probably immediately; and slap me silly at the same time. Turned out to be the tube in the foreend wasn't tightened down enough with the nut that holds it in foreend. Once I tapped the one end of the tube I could immediately see that it hadn't tightened up enough, and was hitting on the ring on the barrel that surrounds that tube.

Mystery solved. ;)
Glad you fixed your problem. I didn't know enough about this gun to really recommend what I had thought of, looking at your photos. If the only difference was the depth of that slot, and that was causing the problem, I would have wanted to enlarge the slot in the new barrel to match the slot in the old one. A gunsmith would likely have the equipment and skills to do that properly. I'm enough of a do-it-yourself jack-of-all-trades that I probably would have filed out the slot myself, if it were mine.

I hope the gun works out well for you now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts