Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All
My "House Gun" is a Model 12 made circa 1921, previously shortened and fitted with an older Cutts Compensator. It has been sticking empties occasionally off and on for some time. The extractor pulls off and leaves the shell in the chamber. I bought the gun in a rough condition just to get the receiver, the barrel is a cut replacement, and no great loss. I stocked it from a walnut blank, fitted it with a military swivel a la' trench gun, and it came out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I had a smith polish the chamber out, it worked well for awhile, but now it is doing it again. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am betting that both the left and right extractor springs need replacing. Not a hard job at all from someone with your experience. You could have extractor or plunger wear too in a specimen that old.

Numrich shows to have them in stock. If you can figure out the price difference between the two...let me know...lol.

Good luck and all the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh thanks, but I was lax in my description of what is actually going on. When the empty sticks, you have to apply some pressure to the slide handle and bounce the butt on the ground rather hard. Then the shell either comes out pretty forcibly, or the extractors jump the rim. Is there any chance this gun has a 2 1/2 chamber and I am having pressure problems? I have seen 16's destroyed by this abuse.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh thanks, but I was lax in my description of what is actually going on. When the empty sticks, you have to apply some pressure to the slide handle and bounce the butt on the ground rather hard. Then the shell either comes out pretty forcibly, or the extractors jump the rim. Is there any chance this gun has a 2 1/2 chamber and I am having pressure problems? I have seen 16's destroyed by this abuse.
Yes. That is likely that Model used 2 9/16 shells. Do the empties have room to eject out of the port? One that old that is always a good possibility.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks jwsmith1959. As I said, the barrel was robbed out of this gun and put on another probably because it was in original length. Possibly also to get the 2 3/4 inch chamber as well. There are no issues with the shells clearing the port, so assuming the barrel it currently wears has the shorter chamber--what measurement should I expect to get to the forcing cone for one or the other? If this is the case, I am surprised the smith did not catch it when he polished the chamber out. I can sure be dense. I was vaguely aware of the issue but it did not even occur to me before this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well...chamber length is based on the length of a fired shell. Maybe you can get your hands on some shells that have a rolled crimp which would shorten the OAL of the fired shell and see if this solves the problem. Also, some chambers can just be tight and really HATE steel base hulls. Maybe try a Win AA hull or Remington Nitro and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Good luck.

Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts