Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is a shot gunner's site but I also believe that some of you may own a hand gun or two.
We (Mrs. one eye and I) own 3 hand guns. A Ruger Mark III lite for her, A Ruger LCRX.22 Wmr and a Ruger Wrangler for me. Sunday at the range I shot a Glock 17 and liked the feel of the 9mm. I have been looking at a few different models and have narrowed my choice down to 2 that I have handled. The first is a Glock 19 and the second is the Ruger Security 9. The Glock felt a bit bulky and the Ruger felt much better. The Glock has a slightly better reviews because the Ruger is a bit more difficult to break down and clean.... (I guess the reviewer never tried to break down a MarkIII) Any way I decided to ask this group for opinions... Your Thoughts???

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Are you looking for a range gun, nightstand HD gun or a CCW?
I have a G-17, HAD a Gen 3 G-19 and have a G26. Never liked the finger grooves on the Gen 3 G-19 so away it went. Still not a fan of the "Block" guns as the grip angle and two part trigger I find just MEH.
Nightstand and CCW is my SIG P365 with the 12 round mag. The slim design and trigger just feel great to ME. In my truck is a S&W M&P 2.0 (basically like a G-19 with a better trigger)

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I've read you favor the Ruger. That would be the one to go with. For me if it is not comfortable in my hand I will not be accurate with it. My carry is a Ruger 45 commander.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is just my experience with the Glock 17/19 pistols. I’m not trying to tell you what is best between the two under discussion. I have never handled, shot or even seen a Ruger American. My Ruger experience has been with the P85, P89, and P90. All great guns. I have been a police firearms instructor since 1981. I have seen literally thousands of police duty firearms and their shooters. (Nothing to write home about there) One gun that is incredibly reliable, durable, reasonably accurate, and easy to clean has been the Glock 9mm pistols. Left untouched with only factory parts and shooting only factory ammunition from factory magazines, I have witnessed these guns still functioning after untold thousands of rounds after being mistreated by their owners. Not a great trigger pull, not bullseye accurate, but work and are user repairable most of the time. But, I’ve only seen aftermarket parts break in the guns.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking for a range gun, nightstand HD gun or a CCW?
I have a G-17, HAD a Gen 3 G-19 and have a G26. Never liked the finger grooves on the Gen 3 G-19 so away it went. Still not a fan of the "Block" guns as the grip angle and two part trigger I find just MEH.
Nightstand and CCW is my SIG P365 with the 12 round mag. The slim design and trigger just feel great to ME. In my truck is a S&W M&P 2.0 (basically like a G-19 with a better trigger)
Basically this will be a night stand gun but I will be taking it to the range as often as Ammo allows so that I can become proficient and comfortable with it. I feel that fit and confidence go hand in hand so I am leaning towards the Ruger. I guess I am looking to see if there is/are some reason I shouldn't go that way,

Reactions: ramblinrebel

·
913 Posts
I'm pretty deep into handguns, got a bunch of them and shoot them at least once a week.

If you lean towards the Ruger, that's probably the way you should go. I've found that if I don't like a gun, for whatever reason, I don't shoot it as well as a gun I like.

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Basically this will be a night stand gun but I will be taking it to the range as often as Ammo allows so that I can become proficient and comfortable with it. I feel that fit and confidence go hand in hand so I am leaning towards the Ruger. I guess I am looking to see if there is/are some reason I shouldn't go that way,
Then get the largest heaviest gun that feels right to you (like shotguns) as it helps mitigate recoil and muzzle flip. A 1911 in 9mm would (or SHOULD) have a great trigger and with a 5" barrel have good velocity and accuracy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Then get the largest heaviest gun that feels right to you (like shotguns) as it helps mitigate recoil and muzzle flip. A 1911 in 9mm would (or SHOULD) have a great trigger and with a 5" barrel have good velocity and accuracy
I agree with oneounceload on the shotgun and here's my under the bed gun

A Mossberg Shockwave with a laser light for a sight. For the nightstand, I place my carry gun, which varies from a SIG Sauer P239 or a Colt King Cobra.

Reactions: oneounceload

·
Registered
119 Posts
I recently shot CZ Shadow 2. I believe it is based off the Cz75 , but tricked out more towards competition . It was the best shooting 9 mm double stack pistol I’ve ever fired. They are pricey, but the CZ 75 is very similar and likely half the price of a Shadow 2. Id suggest looking at their lineup. The CZ is a DA/SA, not striker fired.

Another gun I shot that I liked a lot if I were to carry was the Sig P365.

I have a friend that has a Springfield Range Officer, and a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. Both are 5” 1911s in 9 mm. They are great range guns, but he has experienced more malfunctions with the 5” 1911s in 9mm much more than his 4” 9 mm 1911s. His 4” is a Wilson so his conclusion for reliability might have everything to do with it being a Wilson instead of it being a 4” barrel.

For my money, and a nightstand gun, Im thinking double stack 9mm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMO it is hard to beat a revolver for hassle free, and intuitive-use as a night stand gun. By intuitive use, I mean that if for some weird reason a revolver does not fire when you first pull the trigger; the intuitive thing to do is simply pull the trigger again. No other clearing or reaction needed. Maybe something like these two? Good luck!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO it is hard to beat a revolver for hassle free, and intuitive-use as a night stand gun. By intuitive use, I mean that if for some weird reason a revolver does not fire when you first pull the trigger; the intuitive thing to do is simply pull the trigger again. No other clearing or reaction needed. Maybe something like these two? Good luck!

I have 2 ruger revolvers now and like them both.... Just got the itch for a semi.auto

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd research which one you can readily find magazines and other parts for...
Times are a bit crazy, but I'm betting on the Glock, I have several, and others makers as well, but the Glock is the easiest to accessorize etc, and it's the one on my nightstand as well. G19.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts