Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Baker Gun Co. (Batavia Leader) double barrel hammerless 12 gauge shot gun. Serial # 145xxF. Pretty good condition with 30" barrel, dual triggers and diamond stock and forearm. I understand it was built before 1935 and it was my grandfathers. Does anyone have any info on this shotgun? I would like to take it apart and clean it. The shape it's in I wouldn't have any problem shooting it but I would rather not. I can't find any more etchings or writing on this gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clean it - yes. Don't alter the original finish in any way. You will destroy whatever value it may have. If all the internals are in good condition and the stock isn't cracked - shoot it!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess going over the outside of the barrel and the metal finish with 0000 steelwool and gun oil isn't recommended?. I just cleaned it after about 40-+ years and the inside of the barrel has a nice mirror finish.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "F" in the serial number indicates it was made after 1919. Folsom/Crescent Arms era. Not to burst your bubble, but these are not as sought after as the earlier (pre Folsom) models.

What kind of steel is the barrel? Some of these old guns can be dangerous to shoot using modern ammo.

Photos would help.

kypix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts