Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've narrowed down my first shotgun choice to a Remington 870. There are so many variations that I don't even know where to begin. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, but when looking at a gun I tend to look at guns that are attractive to me.

With that said, I'm having a really tough time deciding whether I want to get a 870 Tactical or just a standard length 870. Primarily the gun would be used to shoot clays at the range (friends throwing them out). The secondary purpose, if ever needed, would be self defense. I love the way the tactical models look, but since I will be primarily using it for shooting clays, I'm not sure if it's the right choice.

I'm looking for more educated responses as I am ignorant when it comes to shotguns.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking from experience, if you're just throwing clays manually or with a small launcher, the express tactical works just great, even with the breacher choke.

Plus, that thing is sharp as hell - would make a great impact weapon if you run out of ammo or just want to make a point to someone. Or in them ;)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my 870 Express Tactical and shoot clays with it all the time. The 6+1 is a great thing to have as well. I put a pistol grip w/fixed stock on mine and it just feels better. Might switch to the knoxx stock though but yeah you won't regret getting the 870 Tac if you do pick one up.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you from qualifying with an 870 in the academy that an adjustable stock was a huge improvement for me over a fixed stock. Note that the above experience was my only experience with the 870. I don't think it was a huge improvement because the shotgun was more compact, but more for length of pull adjustment. For that reason alone I would encourage you to get yourself an adjustable stock for your 870.

Aside from that, I think it could generally be said that any 870 that can be used for self defense could serve fine for recreational clay pigeon shooting, but it doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

If you intend to depend on the shotgun as a primary HD weapon, keep that in mind.

And HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can tell you from qualifying with an 870 in the academy that an adjustable stock was a huge improvement for me over a fixed stock. Note that the above experience was my only experience with the 870. I don't think it was a huge improvement because the shotgun was more compact, but more for length of pull adjustment. For that reason alone I would encourage you to get yourself an adjustable stock for your 870.

Aside from that, I think it could generally be said that any 870 that can be used for self defense could serve fine for recreational clay pigeon shooting, but it doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

If you intend to depend on the shotgun as a primary HD weapon, keep that in mind.

And HAVE FUN!
I dunno about that; a 24 or 26" barrel would work just fine in the HD role; particularly if one's plan is to "bunker up" in the bedroom.

If I were the OP, though, I'd just get a 870 express with both an 18.5 inch smooth barrel and a longer trap/bird barrel. An extended mag tube could be optional, since you'd have to take it off to switch barrels and one could just as easily put the original spring and nut back on and have a perfectly innocuous looking sporting shotty for range use.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's only one choice and that's the 870P with Walnut Furniture of course.....While mine has the 18" (no not 18.5") barrel I agree with cuda that a 20-26" barrel is every bit as effective in a Home Defense Roll.............

Threw the model number in there for ya

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your leaning toward the 870 Tactical save a little more money and get an 870P. I have an 870 Tactical and I am saving to send it to JD at AIP in Michigan to have the police internals in the reciever and to get it parkerized. IMO the powder coat finish on the Tactical model is garbage. Remington cut too many corners trying to keep their price inline with Mossberg.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do believe Remington offers them with barrel combo packs.

my 500 was originally a 28" bird gun. With nice American walnut stocks. Still has the stocks but wears an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel with a meprolight tritium bead.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I say go for the 870 Epress Tactical and and change over to the Magpul SGA goodies...

Magpul | Unfair Advantage

It's what I am sort of considering for a good tac-Shottie...:cool:
That stock looks sexy. still doing research on mossy vs remy for hd shotty. never shot a shotgun before, so purchase will most likely be based on research and feel......there a few skeet ranges w/n driving distance, i might see if they rent

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dunno about that; a 24 or 26" barrel would work just fine in the HD role; particularly if one's plan is to "bunker up" in the bedroom.

If I were the OP, though, I'd just get a 870 express with both an 18.5 inch smooth barrel and a longer trap/bird barrel. An extended mag tube could be optional, since you'd have to take it off to switch barrels and one could just as easily put the original spring and nut back on and have a perfectly innocuous looking sporting shotty for range use.
^ What he said. I have an 870 Express with the synthetic hardware.
Got it with a 28" barrel. I plan on getting a short barrel for it, and am considering getting my hands on a 30" for the range. 'Til I have the cash for the shorter barrel, I've got my XD sitting ready with 16 rounds of Hydra-Shok boom boom if the worst happens.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ What he said. I have an 870 Express with the synthetic hardware.
Got it with a 28" barrel. I plan on getting a short barrel for it, and am considering getting my hands on a 30" for the range. 'Til I have the cash for the shorter barrel, I've got my XD sitting ready with 16 rounds of Hydra-Shok boom boom if the worst happens.
The only reason to get a 30" barrel is if you hunt waterfowl. At the range, it won't do anything more for you than your 28".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts