Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the group. I'm looking for suggestions on a new .12 gauge that my husband purchased for my son and myself to use for dove hunting. I've never been a fan of .12 gauge shotguns because of the kick. We immediately purchased and used a recoil pad that claimed to absorb 70% of the recoil shock - they lied!!! Even with the recoil pad and a padded vest my shoulder did NOT enjoy our latest round of practice shooting. Can anyone give me suggestions on a product/method that will REALLY absorb some of the recoil shock. I appreciate your input/advice! Thank you!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello! I am new to the group. I'm looking for suggestions on a new .12 gauge that my husband purchased for my son and myself to use for dove hunting. I've never been a fan of .12 gauge shotguns because of the kick. We immediately purchased and used a recoil pad that claimed to absorb 70% of the recoil shock - they lied!!! Even with the recoil pad and a padded vest my shoulder did NOT enjoy our latest round of practice shooting. Can anyone give me suggestions on a product/method that will REALLY absorb some of the recoil shock. I appreciate your input/advice! Thank you!
Sue.... Have you thought about seeing a gun fitter to see if the gun fits you properly ?
When Mrs. One eye moved up from a 20 gauge to a 12 gauge we had the gun fitted with a Grayco adjustable butt plate.
This may cost you some $$$ "but if mama ain't happy, nobody's gonna be happy"
The other thought I have is to check the loads you are using. You may reduce some recoil by dialing them back a bit.
Good luck You have come to the right place for help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sue.... Have you thought about seeing a gun fitter to see if the gun fits you properly ?
When Mrs. One eye moved up from a 20 gauge to a 12 gauge we had the gun fitted with a Grayco adjustable butt plate.
This may cost you some $$$ "but if mama ain't happy, nobody's gonna be happy"
The other thought I have is to check the loads you are using. You may reduce some recoil by dialing them back a bit.
Good luck You have come to the right place for help.
Thanks so much!!! I appreciate your help!

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Sounds like a combination of things as One-eyed mentioned from poor fit for you to loads that are too heavy and/or fast'
Winchester makes some training loads that are only running 980fps with a light payload. That should help if you have been shooting 1-1/8 running 1250+.

Women tend to have longer necks then men which is one fit issue. Depending on your size and body shape, you might need more drop, possibly more cast and a different length of pull. Finding a knowledgeable fitter can be difficult depending on where you live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a combination of things as One-eyed mentioned from poor fit for you to loads that are too heavy and/or fast'
Winchester makes some training loads that are only running 980fps with a light payload. That should help if you have been shooting 1-1/8 running 1250+.

Women tend to have longer necks then men which is one fit issue. Depending on your size and body shape, you might need more drop, possibly more cast and a different length of pull. Finding a knowledgeable fitter can be difficult depending on where you live.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
There are recoil pads and then there are REAL recoil pads , a Good quality Decelerator Butt PAD also can help tremendously .
Not to compare calibers to shotguns , I've a .338 Laupa Magnum also known as the wrong end of a mule !. I also had major rotator cuff surgeries years back and #14 plastic PEEK anchors put in one shoulder ,along with 3 yd. of stitching an artificial bungee tendon on and on . Point is failure of protecting MY shoulder , ISN'T an option !. I slipped one of these over the Pachymar Decelerator pad and Never looked back . I can run #100 rounds and NOT feel the least soreness !.

May I also suggest If a quality Decelerator Pad along with a Recoil Eraser and proper fit of the shotgun ,doesn't do it for You

then You need to use a 20 or 28 gauge instead of a 12 gauge . MY Wife didn't like any of MY 12 gauges ,so I bought her a Belgian Browning Auto 5 in 20 gauge and She will shoot all day now (y)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71cq5tVWF3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are recoil pads and then there are REAL recoil pads , a Good quality Decelerator Butt PAD also can help tremendously .
Not to compare calibers to shotguns , I've a .338 Laupa Magnum also known as the wrong end of a mule !. I also had major rotator cuff surgeries years back and #14 plastic PEEK anchors put in one shoulder ,along with 3 yd. of stitching an artificial bungee tendon on and on . Point is failure of protecting MY shoulder , ISN'T an option !. I slipped one of these over the Pachymar Decelerator pad and Never looked back . I can run #100 rounds and NOT feel the least soreness !.

May I also suggest If a quality Decelerator Pad along with a Recoil Eraser and proper fit of the shotgun ,doesn't do it for You

then You need to use a 20 or 28 gauge instead of a 12 gauge . MY Wife didn't like any of MY 12 gauges ,so I bought her a Belgian Browning Auto 5 in 20 gauge and She will shoot all day now (y)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71cq5tVWF3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thanks so much, I appreciate the information!!

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
It will significantly reduce recoil. It will also totally mess up the balance of your gun in a bad way, though, unless you put an equal amount of lead on the front of the gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sue,
An old timer told me that if you fill the bolt hole in the stock with lead shot and cap it with a nice soft butt pad, you will reduce your recoil significantly.
Thank you so much! My husband is gonna set me up with this and see if it helps!
It will significantly reduce recoil. It will also totally mess up the balance of your gun in a bad way, though, unless you put an equal amount of lead on the front of the gun.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts