Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

I am somewhat new to the shotgun world, and I want to get a Homecoming present for my hubby. I know he has been looking at a 12-gauge O/U Browning Citori w/ interchangeable choke tubes (hopefully I said that right... still working on terminology). He has been talking about getting one for quite some time now. I don't want to keep asking him questions about it because it will give away the surprise - Any advice? I guess my biggest questions are:

1. Is there a specific model I should keep an eye out for?
2. What price range am I looking at (so I can start saving up)?
3. Can I get one that is not engraved yet so I can get it customized for him? If so, how? (any engravers y'all recommend are very welcome!)
4. Where can I get the interchangeable choke tubes? (as you can tell, I am really new to shotguns...)

Are there any other things I should take into consideration?

He is an avid shotgun shooter and reloader, and I would love to surprise him with a new one when he gets home!

Thanks in advance!
Ashley

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
be careful. guns must fit like shoes. and if you dump a lot of money into the gun to personalize it...just to find out it doesnt fit or work, youre sunk. let him pick the gun and fit it first... shoot it a few times and then take it to an engraver, after its proven itself as functional.
one other thing, if he ever tries to sell it in the future because of many reasons, if its personalized, it narrows the market. not everyone may like its fancy touch added and surely wont pay extra for it. think it over.

Reactions: stevejackson

·
Registered
44 Posts
Girl, that is wonderful. Can't imagine any hubby that is a shooter that wouldn't be floored with that kind of surprise.

If he hunts birds, the standard field grade is fine and it can also be used, now and then, for target sports, such as skeet, trap or sporting clays. If he specializes in skeet, trap or sporting clays, though, there are specific models for that, but target versions don't always make good bird hunting guns. Choose according to what he does the most.

Most gun stores will have extra choke tubes, but you get a set with a new gun, anyway, so no need to go out and buy more, right away.

Personal engraving is a nice thought, but like Bobski says, it can seriously reduce the resale value of the gun, doubly so if you end up with a poor engraving job. If you want to personalize something, how about embroidering a nice gun case?

In our area, field grade Citoris usually run in the roughly $1600 range. Target versions usually run a bit more. Fancy grades -more engraving and nicer wood - often much more. For bird hunting, the standard grade is appropriate because these guns often get scratched and dinged out in the field.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know it's not romantic, but just give him the cash and let him pick for himself. If this is something he has wanted for a while, he probably has already decided which model and configuration he wants.
He's a lucky man to have a woman who wants to give him a shotgun for a homecoming gift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts